Cracked CO2 Valve - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 198378

Reaction score
So I bought a filled 20# CO2 tank on CL to replace my 5# for my keezer. When I initially purchased it, there was a plastic seal over the valve so I thought it was legit.

Now that my 5# is running out I wanted to swap them only to find that the valve on my 20# is cracked in a way where I cannot open the valve. When I turn to open (yes I connected the regulator) it opens the crack and slips past the turning mechanism. It's as if it's stripped even though it's not.

I called a local Gas shop to see if I could swap and they said they would have to let out the CO2 to fix, then I'd have to pay for refill and the cost of the valve.

Is there anyway I can fix/open it at home? If I can even just open the valve hooked up I can at least use the gas before I exchange. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0634.JPG

Phew - well - that looks like a plastic valve operator knob? If yes, and if you can cut/remove it without touching or damaging the valve it's supposed to operate, you might be able to use a crescent wrench or open end box wrench to operate the valve instead, at least for this charge of CO2.

Me? I wouldn't do it tho! Working that close to something under that much pressure isn't worth the risk, IMO. I'd take it to the shop and get it repaired...good luck!

I've never ran into this before but if it did I'd be inclined to put a socket on the nut and slowly give it a turn to open. (actually now that I've just inspected 2 of my tanks I am quite sure this will work)

It's not gonna just blow up on you.

This worked!!! Thank u @wingnutbrew, such a simple and elegant solution. Beerkarma will head your way CASE CLOSED :mug:

I've never ran into this before but if it did I'd be inclined to put a socket on the nut and slowly give it a turn to open. (actually now that I've just inspected 2 of my tanks I am quite sure this will work)

It's not gonna just blow up on you.

Back