CPVC Safety in Homebrewing Applications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm wanting to test out a proof-of-concept modification to my mashing setup, but before I invest in a fabricator making a stainless steel part I want to see if the mod will work the way I have it envisioned. For that I'm wanting to use a 12" section of CPVC 3/4" ID pipe. The pipe will slide over the center post support and will serve as a spacer to separate the top and bottom filter plates that are supposed to keep the grain bed contained in the center malt pipe. Without going too deeply into the minutiae of how my single vessel setup works, the weight of the grain normally holds down the bottom filter plate. A recirculation pump feeds strike water up through the bottom plate, which rests on a 'ledge' inside the malt pipe, and sends it through the malt column where the top plate allows the wort to flow out but keeps the grain contained in the malt cylinder. It usually works well, however I've been experimenting with 50% smaller than normal malt bills (session beers) and the lack of grain weight on the bottom plate is apparently allowing the bottom plate to float up off its ledge and dump loose grain into the mash vessel. Think: BIAB with a big hole in the bottom of the bag.

The CPVC will be in the mash, surrounded by the grain, for up to two hours at temperatures up to 175F/79C. I know that CPVC is supposed to be food safe, temperature stable up to 200F/93C, and resistant to leaching chemicals, according to the manufacturers' spec sheets and PR. OTOH, the "Whole Foods/Save the Whales" set is active and vocal on the Interwebs decrying the environmental impact and poisons that will pollute my GI tract if I even sniff a piece of PVC or CPVC. All I want to know is, if I put a 12" section of CPVC into my mash to test an engineering concept prior to spending $$$$ on a custom built 304 SS part, am I putting my drinking buddies at risk of growing a third ear?

My normal water source is a well with good quality water, modified with minimal brewing salts (but including BrewTan B, ascorbic acid and NaMeta "Trifecta" ~3 gr. total) and small amounts of lactic acid when required to adjust pH. I'm not a chemist or environmental scientist, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn recently. I do shop occasionally at Whole Foods and I think saving the whales is a noble cause, however. And most of my drinking buddies already look weird enough without sprouting a third ear, though it might improve their looks.

Your input and advice is both solicited and appreciated.

I have no idea how many people built the coleman cooler mash tun prior to me. I would bet I am not the only one to build the manifold in the bottom out of cpvc, instead of copper. I am into my third year of 10 gallons a month production. I am fine, my buddies are fine.
Relax and brew on, If it is only a prototype, you should be less worried.
Eric

I used a CPVC mash tun filter for seven years...still kicking...moved to electric all in one though so my lonely filter sits in the lonely cooler mash tun

Back