CP's Einbeck Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPooley4

Reaction score
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 60
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week at 45
Additional Fermentation
no
I make a few good beers, but this is my favorite. A great session beer that is really hard to put down. Came about through an experiment/idea. After researching beers of the past I came across the city of Einbeck and it's rich history of brewing back in the 1500's (I believe). Was the most popular beer back then and the favorite of Martin Luther. They brewed their beer with 33% wheat malt and only during one season (colder weather). This certainly is NOT supposed to be a clone of that style of beer however. I decided to take the idea of using 33% wheat malt and keeping the fermentation at colder temps (also cold crashing for a week) and putting an American Amber twist on it. This beer is the result of that idea.

You'll find it hard to notice the wheat malt which was intentional. I utilized a good amount of specialty malt to help mask the wheat a bit (Aromatic for 10%) along with a healthy amount of caramel malt as well. You'll taste a very smooth, clean, and balanced beer with a nice touch of caramel. Truly a year round beer for all seasons. The hop schedule was right on for what I was looking for. Just enough bitterness to balance without taking away from the malt taste. The hops at flameout give it just a hint of hop aroma to go along with the nice malty nose.

I held a blind tasting party for a few friends/couples this past spring. Had 3 of my beers (this beer, an IPA, and a Kolsch) and 3 commercial examples (Capital Rustic Ale, Flying Dog IPA, Goose Island Kolsch). This beer scored the highest of all of them with my American IPA coming in 2nd. All beers scored well, but this was the favorite of just about everyone.

Enjoy.

Einbeck.jpg

Back