Couplers for welding ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billysparrows

Reaction score
I have two 20 quart stainless pots and a guy who welds stainless tanks for a living ready to go. My question is where can I get the couplers needed to weld to my SS pots. I am building an electric system (HERMS) based on the electricbrewery.com build. Panel is done and the mash tun is done. I have the boil kettle and HLT to yet to build. I was looking at the morebeer 1/2 inch, full coupler part number H631. Figured I could attach ball valves on the outside and pickup tubes, hop tortilla or whatever else on the inside. Thoughts or suggestions before I start ordering parts?

So you're going to weld a full coupler; 1/2 in, and 1/2 out of the kettle?
Sounds good to me... just make sure it get's welded in straight and level. Do you have your pickup tube in-hand for test fit? You'll need that.

Are there any couplers available to weld on that I can screw my elements directly into? Thanks all.

Are there any couplers available to weld on that I can screw my elements directly into? Thanks all.

Not really. A heating element is a 1" straight thread and all the couplers out there are 1" NPT which are tapered. The element will bottom out on the threads before making a seal against the o-ring. Many people put Teflon tape on the element and screw into the 1" NPT coupler. From what I've read it usually seals but it's a really jimmy rigged way to do it IMO.

Back