Couple of questions before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyts

Reaction score
A bit long but.....I have a batch of Citra pale ale that I dry hopped after being in the primary a week. I was planning to leave it in the primary until bottling but I have another kit to brew so I decided to move it to a carboy. When I did that I didn't move the hop bag with it. I will be ready to bottle next weekend. How will this effect the beer? I will say the sample I took was AWESOME!

On another note... When I bottle I usually put the bottles into 6pk holders then into a case box. We keep the house real cool and I am looking for ideas on keeping the bottled beer in the 70* range to promote carbonation. My SWMBO isn't real thrilled to keep the heat on in the bathroom with 2 cs of beer spread out on the floor to keep warm so I would like to come up w/ a solution other than this. When I have the beer in my primary I keep a beer belt on it to keep the temp up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what will happen with not dry hopping in secondary. Ive only ever dry hopped in secondary.

Regarding keeping the bottles at 70ish. I ended up buying interlocking dark gray/black totes(~$7) from homedepot and keep them out of the way in the dining room. This has kept SWMBO fairly happy. I have no optimal solution but at least it looks a little cleaner and tidier. She is not happy but accepts it.

Put your bottles in water with an aquarium heater. Tape up those old 6 pak holders. I spent last Sunday afternoon in the ER getting stiches. 6 bottles of beer went throught the bottom of one. Top of one bottle came up and went into my leg.

Cool house here. Built a light bulb/coffee can heater with a dimmer switch to help control temp. If you search the web most are called something like dog house heaters.

What about the fact that I have moved the beer to a secondary w/o the hops that was added for dry hopping? Is there going to be a big loss of the flavor/aroma? The dry hop addition was done on day 7 after brewing and was there for 7 days before I moved it. I know this is abnormal for the process but it was suggested that the beer probably needed to around the 3 week mark prior to bottling. That is why its in the secondary for a week. My hops were in a bag and I couldn't put them in the carboy. I will also probably add gelatin in a few days to clear the beer.Will there be enough yeast in suspension to carb it?

Back