Couple of mashing Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
If I am going to put 185 degree water in to pre-heat my 48qt cooler, at what temp do I add my grain? 168?

Grain will be at room temp...around 65 degrees.

Thanks

Yes...strike water. Beersmith had estimated a temp of 174 degrees for strike water, but I found that I should be pre-heating my cooler a bit more, so I was going to use hotter water...around 185 and let it warm the cooler up for about 10 minutes or so...then open the lid and let the water cool down some. Just not sure at what temp I should be adding the grain. Lets say I need to mash at 154.

I'm not sure if I still add the grain at 174 like beersmith estimates, because the cooler is already warm at this point?

Use whatever temp beersmith gives with the "adjust for equipment" box near the mash settings unchecked. When you check the box it'll give you a higher temp to account for whatever mash tun you have set in your profile. As long as it is unchecked, the temp/volume should get you right on your target temp. At least it has worked every time for me.

Yes...strike water. Beersmith had estimated a temp of 174 degrees for strike water, but I found that I should be pre-heating my cooler a bit more, so I was going to use hotter water...around 185 and let it warm the cooler up for about 10 minutes or so...then open the lid and let the water cool down some. Just not sure at what temp I should be adding the grain. Lets say I need to mash at 154.

I'm not sure if I still add the grain at 174 like beersmith estimates, because the cooler is already warm at this point?
I don't pre- heat my tun. I just punch the grain weight, temperature of the grain and the tun (which for me is the grain temp also) the weight of the tun and the material its made of into Beersmith and it spits out a temperature for strike water that gets me within 1 degree every time.

I don't pre- heat my tun. I just punch the grain weight, temperature of the grain and the tun (which for me is the grain temp also) the weight of the tun and the material its made of into Beersmith and it spits out a temperature for strike water that gets me within 1 degree every time.

The first time I did that, BS got me within 1 degree too, but my garage was pretty cold, and I lost about 6-7 degrees over the hour long mash. Pre-heating a bit saves me a few degrees. Not sure how big a deal it is to loose 5 or so degrees over the hour?

Latest posts

Back