Couple fruit flies in my starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
You guys think I should toss this starter and start over for lack of a better word?

Was thinking I'd just strain the starter through a sanitized muslin bag but don't want to ruin a costly batch either. Have never gotten an infection in my beer and don't want to start now.

You guys think I should toss this starter and start over for lack of a better word?

Was thinking I'd just strain the starter through a sanitized muslin bag but don't want to ruin a costly batch either. Have never gotten an infection in my beer and don't want to start now.

Get rid of it. Not worth it.

If you're not sure what day trippr is referring to, fruit flies are also known as 'vinegar flies'. They carry acetobacter bacteria which turns ethanol to acetic acid. ie. vinegar.
Ask yourself- do you really want 5 gallons of malt vinegar? I like a sprinkle on French fries, but 5G would last for centuries................. :mug:

I put some Balsamic vinegar in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and then poke holes through the plastic with a toothpick. The little buggers crawl in but they're too dumb to get out. I think the best way to avoid infections from fruit flies is to avoid fruit flies.

Yep it will be dumped. Not risking wasting 15lbs of grain. Last time I simply put foil over my starter. Guess I'll stick with the foam stopper that comes with the vessel or use an airlock.

Ask yourself- do you really want 5 gallons of malt vinegar? I like a sprinkle on French fries, but 5G would last for centuries.

Somebody's gonna have to go back and get a ****load of potatoes!

(P.S. I think I just found my sig quote. :cool:)

Back