Countering overhopping with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrg247

Reaction score
I added like 3oz of hops to my 5gal batch of irish stout. a bit too much I should say. Is there anything I could add to the fermentation process/bottle to counter it? maybe honey i don't know.

Time. Then more time. Excess hoppiness drops out over time. You could theoretically add some DME and make a bigger, balanced beer out of it - but that would need more aging as well. Honey won't do anything but add some subtle aromas (easily overpowered) and make it more alcoholic. Just be patient.

I overhopped a batch with a full boil of Chinook hops....first one I sampled was almost like it was a scorched taste. That was probably 11 months ago.

It has eased up a bit, but it's still very noticeable. Mix a bottle of the overhopped stuff in a big glass with a bottle of something else, mostly malty. That could make it drinkable.

Wait and see how it turns out after fermentation, then if it is still overly hopped for your tastes, do like the_bird said and just wait it out.

Cheers

Time will take care of hop flavor and aroma. If you have an overly bitter beer, only blending will help.

Latest posts

Back