Could this water jug be good for a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboxer

Reaction score
Hi, I know in the past people have talked about whether water cooler tanks can be used instead of a BetterBottle charboy, but I was wondering about this standard water jug that goes for about $2.50 at Target, and is available in other grocery store chains as well.

It's made out of HDPE plastic (#2), which is food safe. It's not as hard as the hard plastic PETE (#1) BetterBottle, but I'm not sure if that makes it no good for aging wine. Any chemists want to comment?

The only other issue I can think of is that, as you can see from the picture, there is going to be a little bit of air in the handle. Is that a fatal problem? Can we figure out a way to extend the spout to raise the liquid level above the rest of the container?

imag0046p.jpg

#'s 1 and 2 are considered food safe, but I'm more of a beer person. If we have beer in a fermenter (primary or secondary) for a month that's a good amount of time. Wine making has your product in contact with the fermenters much longer. I'll let someone else speak to that, but I'd be a bit wary of having wine in that for a long period of time, mainly because it's the container they sell the water in so it's very thin due to it's intended "use once and dispose" lifespan.

It should be ok, but the only issue i see is cleaning inside the handle. I personally use a 6 gallon water cooler bottle without a handle. Cleaning it involves just filling it with solution and giving it a good shake.

Back