could this recipe please be critiqued.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
I was trying to come up with something for spring. Not sure what I made.

This beer is already in the fermenter.

Just kind of want to see what style you guys might call it, and if I did anything wrong.

Recipe:

4.5 lbs. 2-row
1.5 lbs wheat
4 oz Crystal 150
3 oz Carapils

60 min. 0.45 oz centennial
20 min. 0.2 oz simcoe
5 min. 0.2 oz simcoe and 0.5 tbsp coriander
2 min. 0.25 oz centennial (was going to do Simcoe but I loved the smell of centennial, first time user of both)

Yeast: US-05

I will assume it is a 5 gal. batch So I would like to say a lower abv APA on the citricey side for hops.

Matt

My fault... left out that one important piece of info.....

3 gallon batch.

Hey chri5, thanks... citrus wheat pale ale... I like the sound of that.. thanks. I hope of turns out as good as that sounds.. only 3 days in so far.

I agree with Citrus Wheat APA...I also agree that this sounds awesome. Will definitely have to try something similar to this at some point. Might try some grains of paradise to give it some zing instead of coriander since I have an ounce of them laying around and only use 2-4 grams per 5 gallons....

Yea I'd say pale ale too. That coriander is an interesting addition. Should be tasty, you planning to dry hop at all?

Kpr121, I wasn't planning on it.. I have never dry hopped and am afraid to due to the risk of infection...

Any recommendations if I decide to do it?

Gdwolfe... good call! Totally should have used grains of paradise.. I might just need to brew 3 more gallons just to try and compare with the coriander. Although, I did only put in 0.5 tbsp.

Kpr121, I wasn't planning on it.. I have never dry hopped and am afraid to due to the risk of infection...

Any recommendations if I decide to do it?

No specific recommendations other than to DO IT! Don’t be afraid of infection from dry hops. Hops have natural antibacterial properties. Especially if added directly from a sealed package you have almost nothing to worry about.

Many different ways you can do it….

Add leafs/pellets directly to primary (after main ferment is complete),
Add to secondary and rack beer onto them,
Add hops to muslin bag and add to primary, secondary, keg,
Use French press to extract hop aroma/flavor and add liquid to beer,
etc. etc.

Thanks. So, is out like 2 or 3 days for dry hopping? And, also, do they fall to the trub by bottling time? Do I have to worry about hop particles in my bottle?

Youll want to dryhop for 7-10 days. Sometimes it takes longer for them to drop out and you'll get hop particles in your bottling bucket, thats why alot of people use a muslin bag (or panty hose!).

Yea if you still have Simcoe and Centennial left, I suggest using at least 1/2 oz of each in dry hop, keeping with the theme of your hop schedule (and because those are both awesome hops!)

Or you could change it up and go with some other hop(s).

Back