Could this affect my FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So I just tested the gravity of my Two Hearted Clone while racking it to secondary for dry hopping...

I was very surprised to see it at 1.021 currently. It's been going for two weeks at 62*, and was the most violent fermentation I have had to date (bubbled for a week!)

I made a starter by culturing 3 bottles' trub of Two Hearted and stepped it up every other day for 8 days. Ended up pitching a 1L starter at high krausen.

The thing is, the beer was very merky when I tested the gravity. I had just moved the fermenter.

What are the odds that this bumped up my gravity reading a little? I was really hoping to end near 1.014 or less...

OG- 1.070

7.5 lbs Light DME
Specialty grains

Bells yeast...

Being murky or turbid did not affect your gravity reading. Gravity is only a measure of how heavy the liquid is, meaning what is dissolved in it. Colloidal material and suspended matter will not alter your reading.

Blast! lol

I do not know why the heck this didn't finish lower then. I had TONS of aggressive yeast, oxigenated the heck out of it, and added yeast nutrient... also pitched at the right temp, and slowly dropped it to 62 degrees, where it stayed the entire two weeks...

I have brewed 8 batches and I have yet to have one ferment all the way down to 1.010. Very frustrating. At least I hopped the snot out of this thing, so I am not too worried about the sweetness, it just won't be a true clone now.

I won't claim to know much about extract brewing, but from what I have read - Ray Daniels talks about this a bunch in Designing Great Beers - extracts can be inconsistent, not just from brand to brand, but also from batch to batch within the same brand. One of the issues he mentions is that they can have a tendency to have a fair amount of unfermentable sugars, translating to a high FG.

As high as 1021? I wouldn't know, but I would suggest leaving it at least another week, preferably two. It is obviously fermenting, maybe 62° is on the low end for that yeast and it needs more time.

It's not uncommon for extract brews to die @ 1.020. Back when I was doing them, my extract IPA's with steeping grains just about always died there, even with Pacman yeast. It always ticked me off and was one of the factors that nudged me into AG brewing.

Alrighty, let the G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) begin.

I don't have room to AG right now, but I can buy the gear for it and when I move in June I will have the room.

also pitched at the right temp, and slowly dropped it to 62 degrees, where it stayed the entire two weeks....

that didn't help. always best to start lower and go higher

I don't have room to AG right now, but I can buy the gear for it and when I move in June I will have the room.

of course you do, you just need a bag and a pot. look into BIAB as a means of getting there
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Back