Could the CO2 used cause off flavors in kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl330b

Reaction score
I'm curious to know people's opinions...

Could the CO2 used to force carb potentially cause off flavors? If you get your tank fills at a fire hydrant supply shop, welding shop or any other place, could the "quality" of the gas change the flavor of the brew? I am new to kegging and I am currently searching for a CO2 vendor. I am curious to know what some of the gurus opinions on this matter are. Thanks!

cl330b said:
I'm curious to know people's opinions...

Could the CO2 used to force carb potentially cause off flavors? If you get your tank fills at a fire hydrant supply shop, welding shop or any other place, could the "quality" of the gas change the flavor of the brew? I am new to kegging and I am currently searching for a CO2 vendor. I am curious to know what some of the gurus opinions on this matter are. Thanks!

As an avid SCUBA diver, I know that air fills from different shops can taste different for many reasons, like how far the air intake is from the exhaust output on the compressor and so on. This is what I am basing my curiosity on.

CO2 is usually tanked, like propane, and pumped into the bottles in a similar method. I suppose that if the fill shop used some kind of lubricant somewhere where it could come in contact with the gas it could have an odor or impart a taste to the beer.

I too have noticed that some shops air fills taste different. A shop in Grand Cayman's air tasted like automotive exhaust!! :eek: Second tank on a two tank dive, and I exchanged it for another one on the boat. The dive master and I traded tanks. He didn't seem to mind the taste, but it was obvious.

if we were talking about HPA (high pressure air), like from scuba tanks, that could have different flavors due to the equipment compressing it, and the natural variations of the air in general, wherever its being compressed. there is no set composition of what should be considered "air". its just whatever gas that exists in the environment, and there certainly can be variations in taste/smell between two places. if the compressor was next to an open window and had some exhaust from the parkinglot wafting in, i could imagine how that would taste like exhaust.

however CO2 means only one chemical, and its always CO2. the only time it would have a different "flavor", would be if there were other contaminants in it. food/beer quality CO2 would (or should) only contain CO2, with a very low limit of permissible trace compounds. CO2 meant for welding may have higher permissible levels, though ive never noticed a difference, and a lot of people use industrial grade CO2 just fine.

so CO2 'taste' shouldnt vary much, if at all.

Right on! Thanks.

Big Toe • East Lawn Brewing •

Agreed with audger. Scuba tank fills are done with a compressor and air. You'll get stuff from in and around the air compressor. If the scuba shop smells funky then your O2 will smell/taste funky.

That is very different from the liquid CO2 used to fill our CO2 tanks. I doubt you would ever get any off flavors from liquid CO2.

Agreed with audger. O2 tank fills are done with a compressor and air. You'll get stuff from in and around the air compressor. If the scuba shop smells funky then your O2 will smell/taste funky.

That is very different from the liquid CO2 used to fill our CO2 tanks. I doubt you would ever get any off flavors from liquid CO2.

fwiw, scuba tanks are decidedly not "O2 tanks" (heck, that could kill someone!)

Actual O2 tanks are filled just like CO2 tanks...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:

Cheers!

+1, not for pure oxygen! This thread has taken a turn towards the deep. I was mainly entertaining the thought of CO2 fills from different sources causing off flavors in beer. I used the SCUBA tank as an example.

Cheers!

Yeah, I meant to say scuba tank instead of O2 tank.

When we get CO2, we are getting liquid CO2 with some compressed gaseous CO2 along for the ride. This is quite different than getting compressed air and compressed O2.

Back