Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you use store bought ground pepper ot did you grind your own? I used fresh ground black pepper and the pepper definitely comes through! Its still young but very tasty!

Fresh ground it right before I dumped it in. Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of doubling it next time I brew it, but I don't think I'll go quite that much.

We upped our pepper addition to 1.5 Tbsp because we did a PM, partial-boil version of the recipe. I treated pepper utilization similar to hop utilization for the partial boil, and probably overcompensated for it too. Like I said, for me, that was too much pepper flavor, but others who have tasted it have really liked it.

My yeast is definitely a dudder, got another pack on the way. 4 days later and it has gone from 1052 to 1034 and stopped pretty much dead with any action and hardly any krausen, -- going to pitch it again.

My yeast is definitely a dudder, got another pack on the way. 4 days later and it has gone from 1052 to 1034 and stopped pretty much dead with any action and hardly any krausen, -- going to pitch it again.

Look into making a starter next time, rather than pitching directly from the smack pack.

You can calculate your required starter size using various online tools, plus you'll know that your yeasties are in good fighting shape prior to pitching.

yeah, I make a starter from dried yeast but I don't generally bother from the smack packs as they are a starter in themselves.

Ah well, it ain't gone bad, I tasted it, and there is plenty in there for healthy yeast to eat so it should be fine.

yeah, I make a starter from dried yeast but I don't generally bother from the smack packs as they are a starter in themselves.

I believe that typically people recommend making starters for the liquid yeasts and not so much the dry yeast. For one, the cell counts are much lower in liquid yeast vials/packs than the dry yeast packs (100B vs 220B, generally). It's also just less expensive to purchase an additional dry yeast pack, if needed. The smack pack itself won't really increase the cell count from the stated 100B, I think it's just meant to prove that you have viable yeast.

Definitely recommended to rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching though.

Ah well, it ain't gone bad, I tasted it, and there is plenty in there for healthy yeast to eat so it should be fine.

That's actually the reverse of what you should do. Dried yeast tends to have much higher cell counts and survive better. You should make a starter for smack packs and skip dried yeast starter

:D

well you live and learn. I figured that because you activate the yeast in the pack before pitching it there would be no need for a starter, as long as you give it a few hours to reproduce plenty before pitching.

3 weeks for carbing, one week cold conditioning, and it is supremely good. Used the belle saison yeast and didn't do the pepper addition. Also used all hallertau. Thanks for the recipe!

image-4020115280.jpg

3 weeks for carbing, one week cold conditioning, and it is supremely good. Used the belle saison yeast and didn't do the pepper addition. Also used all hallertau. Thanks for the recipe!

View attachment 143991

That looks vurrrry nice!

Wish I had one of my beers bout now, sadly relocating across country has put a damper on homebrewing....

I am trying to decide what to brew for my *cough, splatter, look the other way* 40th birthday in December which is mid December. This recipe looks very good.

I am moving towns in October so the earliest I will get a chance to brew is the last weekend of October. I bottle my beers (I don't have keg kit). Will it condition in time or is that pushing it a bit tight with this recipe?

So long as you don't have issues with yeast stalling, I would think 2 months is perfect. French Saison yeast is more infamous for that, but just keep your temps up nice and warm if you use it. Belgian saison (whay the recipe calls for) won't give you an issues.

So long as you don't have issues with yeast stalling, I would think 2 months is perfect. French Saison yeast is more infamous for that, but just keep your temps up nice and warm if you use it. Belgian saison (whay the recipe calls for) won't give you an issues.

You have your yeasts backwards. French saison (3711) is infamous for being able to ferment your dining room table.

NuclearRich said:

And the recipe calls for he French saison

studio1one said:
:D

I'm still not convinced, this fermentation just hasn't seemed right, It has just never got going properly. I will take a reading when I get back from work but it seems to me like there is no way it has eaten through everything yet.

What yeast are you using? If wy3724 or wlp565 they are notorious for stalling at 1.035ish and you need to up the temps to the high 80s to low 90s to finish. My 3724 saison took 6 weeks to finish at 90!

My batches with 3711 don't seem to ferment hard but finish very low in a couple weeks.

What yeast are you using? If wy3724 or wlp565 they are notorious for stalling at 1.035ish and you need to up the temps to the high 80s to low 90s to finish. My 3724 saison took 6 weeks to finish at 90!

My batches with 3711 don't seem to ferment hard but finish very low in a couple weeks.

I was using 3711. I made a starter with another smack pack and pitched it into the wort, speed picked right back up. It's been in primary for 2 weeks today, last took a reading last Weds and it was at 1.006 and is still making bubbles, although very slowly now.

All smells and tasted good so I'm a happy brewer now.

Thanks for the replies and comments about the French version Belgian yeasts. I am in South Africa. I have done a quick search and can't find a local stockist of the 3711. I have not inquired, but doubt I can get a yeast posted from Europe or the States to here in an ice pack!

So the alternatives are Danstar or Lallemand Belle Saison (dry yeast, the Belgian Saison). Or WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend?

I would rather go with the dry yeasts. What is the trick to getting a good brew with the Belgian variety?

The farmhouse blend has brett in it, and will give yiu something different than the recipe here intends. I bet it would work really well, but just know that it is "wild". Some people are petrified of brett contamination, so I wouldn't want to recommend that yeast if you are one of those people.

I think the belle sounds like it would fit well. I have no experience with it, but for Belgian yeasts in general, temp control isn't as strict. You actually want the high temp esters a lot more than other strains of yeast. Depending on how spicy, clove, bubblegum/bannana you want, with the basic rule that the higher end of the yeasts temp range will give you more. Now each different belgian strain may give more pepper or less funk, or what have you, so follow the flavor description on the package and go from there.
Another thing to do is after 3-5 days, start bringing the temp even warmer. Maybe bring it to a warmer room. This is what people do to ensure no stalling, and will keep a flavor profile that is desirable in a saison.

Good luck!

studio1one said:
Can you get good bottle condition Saison where you are?

if so I would just take a bottle of my favourite and make a starter out of the dregs then pitch that.

There is a good manual here

http://homebrewmanual.com/harvesting-yeast-from-bottles/

Thanks! Very few breweries here do Saison, but there is one who makes a Saison close by and I will beg them for some slurry!

sneaked a taste out of the FV yesterday, wanted to take a 3 week gravity reading. It is sitting at 1.002 and tastes absolutely amazing. Great recipe.

Thanks! Very few breweries here do Saison, but there is one who makes a Saison close by and I will beg them for some slurry!

Try to find saison DuPont. Comes in 750s.

Looks like Likefully is in South Africa...

Might be a challenge to find some of the stuff that is prevalent here in the states [colonies :rolleyes: ]

Just drank about a six pack of this tonight. Don't have my notes in front of me and a six pack of this will ruin anyone's memory, but... This is amazing. By far the best beer I have made so far. I just put a case of this away to age.

Just drank about a six pack of this tonight. Don't have my notes in front of me and a six pack of this will ruin anyone's memory, but... This is amazing. By far the best beer I have made so far. I just put a case of this away to age.

Brew more before summer runs out!

Glad you dig the recipe!

Finally have a keg open to rack this into, I brewed this on 8/4/13 (1 month ago) and used Belle Saison yeast, excited to finally get to try this out soon.

So, after asking about french verse belgian yeast above I started asking some craft brewers here in South Africa where I could get some French Saison Yeast. This guy sent me a tweet asking if he could help.

It looks like he a is a consultant brewer (what an awesome job). This is what he says about the Devils Peak Saison:

Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont in Tourpes, Belgium is my favorite saison. For many, it defines the style – bone dry, champagne-like effervescence, fruity, and somewhat bitter. Silver Tree Saison was my
salute to Dupont for producing such a simple, yet elegant beer that begs me to drink more (until the 6.5% ABV catches up!).

While Dupont’s recipe is as basic as it gets in the grain department with nothing more than pilsner malt, I’ve thrown in a bit of historical flare for something different. The grain bill comprises pilsner malt, Munich malt, oats, and wheat malt. For hops, I use the traditional Styrian Goldings and Saaz, but also throw in an interesting hop from New Zealand called Motueka, which possesses a bit of lime character. In terms of Belgian beers, saisons tend to have much higher hopping rates than the bulk of the malt forward, Abbey-style beers. For bitterness, I target 23IBUs with a lot of late hopping.

The signature of a properly made saison is an extremely dry finish and fruity esters, and there are really only two main saison yeasts that can pull off 95% apparent attenuation without turning into a phenolic mess – Dupont’s yeast and Brasserie Thiriez’s, from just over the border in France. Legend has it that Dupont’s yeast is actually a descendant of red wine yeast that made its way to Belgium a number of centuries ago. The result of using proper saison yeast in Silver Tree Saison is a terminal gravity of about 1.003, a bit more than 5% ABV, and citrus-fruit esters.

So...that grain bill he lists look familiar. The hops are a bit different.

Brew more before summer runs out!

Glad you dig the recipe!

mine has been in primary FV for 3 weeks now SG is stable and the lock has gone to even pressure on either side. Considering bottling now and conditioning in there, what are your thoughts?

mine has been in primary FV for 3 weeks now SG is stable and the lock has gone to even pressure on either side. Considering bottling now and conditioning in there, what are your thoughts?

If its dead in the water at 1.002 with no activity, then go ahead and bottle it! :rockin:

been in bottle 5 days. This is one of the best beers I ever brewed, the simplicity of the hop and grain bill allows the yeast to do its job and let the esters sing as they should. It needs another couple of weeks to carb up properly but this is a really fine example of Saison and right up there with the best.

ok so I have only been in bottle 2 weeks so it isn't really fully carbed yet but....

at the risk of blowing endless smoke up azscoobs ass this is hands down the best beer I have ever brewed and one of the best examples of a Saison I have ever tasted, it is so delicate, subtle and delicious I am literally in awe of it.

All I can say is that if you are a fan of the classic dry lemony, peppery Saison flavour this will float your boat and happily hold its own against a bottle of DuPont. If AZScoob tastes anything like mine I am not surpised Jef Versele was giving him big respect.

Respect also has to be given to Wyeast for producing such an absolute killer strain in the 3711, I wouldn't dream of brewing this with anything else.

Amazing. Brew it.

ok so I have only been in bottle 2 weeks so it isn't really fully carbed yet but....

at the risk of blowing endless smoke up azscoobs ass this is hands down the best beer I have ever brewed and one of the best examples of a Saison I have ever tasted, it is so delicate, subtle and delicious I am literally in awe of it.

All I can say is that if you are a fan of the classic dry lemony, peppery Saison flavour this will float your boat and happily hold its own against a bottle of DuPont. If AZScoob tastes anything like mine I am not surpised Jef Versele was giving him big respect.

Respect also has to be given to Wyeast for producing such an absolute killer strain in the 3711, I wouldn't dream of brewing this with anything else.

Amazing. Brew it.

Can't wait for my 10 gallons to be ready!! Brewed on 9/7, still slowly bubbling. I can also recommend the Northern Brewer Petite Saison D'Ete, I brewed it (based on their recipe, not the kit) using 3711 and it was fantastic. I added whole peppercorns and a zested grapefruit at 5 mins.

Amazing. Brew it.
I'm blushing...... :D

Aaaaand.... My head is once again swollen up like a beach ball!

Can't wait for my 10 gallons to be ready!! Brewed on 9/7, still slowly bubbling. I can also recommend the Northern Brewer Petite Saison D'Ete, I brewed it (based on their recipe, not the kit) using 3711 and it was fantastic. I added whole peppercorns and a zested grapefruit at 5 mins.

Let me know how the northern brewer recipe compares to mine!

azscoob said:
Let me know how the northern brewer recipe compares to mine!

Well I can tell you it will be an apples to oranges comparison. The petite saison d'ete is a 4.5% saison and I did the extract version. VERY good and very drinkable. Super dry and light. Yours is going to be much more impactful with an OG 25 points higher!

This recipe is winding down as summer draws to a close I see,

As for this guy? I'm planning on brewing it a few times this winter, using a heating pad connected to my fermentation chamber controller...

A Chicago winter isn't stopping me from stockpiling kegs of saison!

I brewed it back in July and it keeps getting better with age. So smooth! Thanks for a great recipe.

Back