Costco/Kirkland brand craft beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had their Pale Ale just last week.
I found it to be "ok". Nothing really remarkable. Had a nice aroma anyway.
Seemed like it might have been slightly oxidized though. Got a hint of cardboard in the taste.
The can listed it as being made by some brewery in California (didn't recognize the name).

I think Costco hires out different breweries across the US to produce their craft beers. This likely results in a fair amount of differences between the different stores. Wish I would have seen this thread a month ago. Could have saved your taste buds from an assault of mediocrity. Much like alot of the kirkland brand, its a cheap knockoff of a quality product produced at the lowest possible cost.

I bought a case of Kirkland Citra Session IPA yesterday :rolleyes: The name makes me cringe, but the price was right and I had to try it. It's a light and kinda bitter pale ale, 4.9% ABV. Almost tastes like a lager. Should be a good summer beer.

Sorta on the same topic as this thread (maybe hijacking here) has anyone tried Aldi's beer? They have a bunch of brands I've never seen anywhere else so I have to imagine they're store brands like Costco's.

Sorta on the same topic as this thread (maybe hijacking here) has anyone tried Aldi's beer? They have a bunch of brands I've never seen anywhere else so I have to imagine they're store brands like Costco's.

I was at someone's house and they had the amber and were going on about how good it was, I thought it was "just odd" couldn't put my finger on what I thought was wrong with it but didn't want another, I was nice about it and said that I had a lot to get done that day and had to drive, so save them for yourself.

And how did the Citra come across, and what was the $$damage?

$20 for a case of 24 cans. Citra is not a hop variety that I'm really familiar with. But I can smell some kind of American hops; something like Cascade but not exactly. Aroma is not very strong but I'm probably drinking the beer too cold for that. The taste is also a bit like Cascade or Centennial. There's more flavor than aroma, again that might be because it's at fridge temperature.

I bought a case of Kirkland Citra Session IPA yesterday :rolleyes: The name makes me cringe, but the price was right and I had to try it. It's a light and kinda bitter pale ale, 4.9% ABV. Almost tastes like a lager. Should be a good summer beer.
It’s a session IPA and why it’s more hop forward than a pale ale. The Citra, IMO, comes through nicely. For the later poster asking about price, at my Costco in NoVA it is $19.99/case. The price is right!

I used buy Costco beer all the time just for the bottles. My Coors Light drinking sickos acquaintances would drink the swill and I got the bottles, up until they changed to twist-off bottles. Now, I don't bother.

$20 for a case of 24 cans. Citra is not a hop variety that I'm really familiar with. But I can smell some kind of American hops; something like Cascade but not exactly. Aroma is not very strong but I'm probably drinking the beer too cold for that. The taste is also a bit like Cascade or Centennial. There's more flavor than aroma, again that might be because it's at fridge temperature.
I decided I can buy better beer for about the same price if I get what's on sale that month at the liquor store (this month it's Kona "Longboard" and mixed-12-packs.) The Kirkland wasn't bad, just too "one note".

I used to buy Kirkland beer just for the bottles.....and to appease my friends that did not like real beer. Then they changed the bottles to twist-off caps... so, now my friends bring over Coors Light or Keystone........🤮

Back