Cost Effective All Stainless eBIAB system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyC-BYOB

brewyourownbrews.com
Reaction score
Hello all you fellow homebrewers,

I recently decided to go all-grain. The problem I have is time and space (me and most others) and I wanted to buy a pre-made system that fit within my budget. I was also looking into a better way to ferment that was also stainless. Main reason was it's easy to clean and sanitize.
My criteria shaped up to the following.
Total Budget = $300
For the brewing:
1. Want a BIAB one vessel system.
2. Start with 110V but is upgradable to 220V.
3. At least a 3-gallon system. Again upgradable if I move to 220V system.
4. Automatic temperature controlled - ideally PID
5. Recirculation

For the fermentor (a little less demanding):
1. Stainless Steel
2. Racking port
3. Easy to clean

After going through an extensive search for a complete electric system I concluded it's as elusive as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. I was not going to find an off the shelf unit at the price point I needed. Going to have to build it. (*sigh) I have built crazy complicated systems in the past (3 barrel RIMS and HERMS) and I know the time investment is huge. I don't have that time anymore now that I'm all grown up. (Wife debates that)

So for the build, I decided it had to meet 3 criteria for me to even attempt it.

1. Everything needs to come from one source and dropped at my door. I can't be running around trying to find parts.
2. Assembly has to be easy and straight forward.
3. I want this to be decent quality. Doesn't need to be top of the line but it does need to be robust and reliable.

In the end, I came up with a very decent system. (Stainless BIAB pot design with circulation and PI control and FIAK fermentor with a racking port) All stainless in design, put together in one weekend, flexible and the best part…came in well under $300 for both the eBIAB system and the fermentor. It met all of my requirements above. Enough left over to add a sterile air Venturi aerator to complete the system.
Yay for me! Solid self-pat on the back.

So here is the deal. I was thinking I would write this all up and create a "how to" so others that want to get into all grain brewing, but don't have the money or time, could benefit. I know there are four gazillion "how to's" out there on this exact topic. I don't want to clutter up the ether if no one see's any value.
Based on the above, is anyone interested? Comments? Feedback?

Thanks in advance!

@andrewmaixner: yes it's similar. I had looked at that and it ticked all the boxes. But even the 15A version was pricey. Especially for what it is. Don't get me wrong, that's a business and you need to make money but after a little research I could tell that their margin is at least 100%. (can you tell I'm in marketing?) If you need a turnkey system and just take it out of the box and go it's a great option. I guess I'm just a little bit of a do it yourself guy (that's code for frugal) and knew I could do as well for more than half. I assume there are others that would like a do-it-yourself option if it was all laid out. Hense my question. And get a fermentor out of it to boot and still be less than the UniBrau.

Good luck, cost effective and stainless steel doesn't really go together. Stainless steel lasts well forever and they price it as such. If you get into this hobby, really get into it the only certainty is you will spend more money than you ever planned.

Can't get the best prices and just use one source. I've even bought a ton of stuff used. Cost effective in that I probably built my system for less than I could by a complete one from a manufacturer. But at over $6k and climbing the most cost effective thing would be to just have bought beer at the store ;)

I think $300 is ambitious for just the brewing part but you want SS fermenting too? I don't think it's possible but I would like to see your attempt.

@andrewmaixner: yes it's similar. I had looked at that and it ticked all the boxes. But even the 15A version was pricey. Especially for what it is. Don't get me wrong, that's a business and you need to make money but after a little research I could tell that their margin is at least 100%. (can you tell I'm in marketing?) If you need a turnkey system and just take it out of the box and go it's a great option. I guess I'm just a little bit of a do it yourself guy (that's code for frugal) and knew I could do as well for more than half. I assume there are others that would like a do-it-yourself option if it was all laid out. Hense my question. And get a fermentor out of it to boot and still be less than the UniBrau.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I found too. In fact the owner of the company posted here pretty much saying exactly what you said (and making note that he gives the instructions out for free, so go ahead and use them).

I ended up making a way too fancy all Tri clamp 20 gallon system for myself, but the unibrau style set-up was probably my second choice.

I'm dying to know how you did this on such modest budget, especially with the fermentor. Please share!

Subscribed. I'm a propane 5 gallon batch BIAB brewer, but have recently reverted to doing small batches on the stove. I've been thinking of building a slick 2.5-3 gallon eBIAB setup so this was perfect timing

I like this as a precursor to a full 3 vessel system, but am skeptical about the price point. Definitely in to see how you pull off that budget.

yes, very curious. I am thinking of moving off of my stove (which, unlike many stoves, especially electric has no problems bringing 6.5 - 7 gallons to a rolling boil and has to be turned down maintaining a very aggressive boil at 8.5 on the dial) to either an electric in pot element, or a 3500 watt stove top... the inductive one...

so yeah, post it up!

I'm interested as well in what you did. I was in the same positon last week but ended up settling on an induction burner. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I can see it being done by fermenting in the kettle with a 5 gallon pot to get to your 3 gallons. Getting everything from one place would be a challenge. I would just be concerned about fermenting with a element in the kettle if that is the method you used. You would sanitize it for the batch with the boiling though.

Just post up the parts list if you don't want to do full write up and picture, I'm sure we could figure it out form there.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought there might be some interest but wasn't sure.
I will try and do the write up this weekend but to put it in a nutshell...

All items were bought on Amazon. All coming from one source? Honestly, No. But one-time order and done. Yes.
All the items reached me in 2 weeks. (One vendor dragged their feet. Most came in a week.)
Both the eBIAB and the fermentor are based on a pot. 20Qt for the brew kettle, 16Qt for the fermentor (FIAK). As for the fementor, a 3 gallon batch works. Much more and you need to go 20qt but that is only a $5 upgrade. If I were to do it again, I'd go 20Qt. Still under $300 for both though.
And one side note about Amazon. I have a prime membership so I tried to get prime items as much as possible to eliminate shipping charges. I'd say a quarter were not prime but shipping was free. Only two items had a shipping charge for a grand total fo $5.16 in shipping. Not too shabby.
Really, It could be even cheaper if you have a few of the items laying around. I did this as a challenge and bought everything like I had nothing. Just to give an example, I had a ball valve, airlock, clamps, and a few other items already. Probably knocks about $15 to $20 off the total had I used them.

Anyway, I will try to get something up soon. Thanks for the interest!

Are you planning on using strainer basket like the UniBrau system?
The strainer basket sucks for recirc, I've had much better results since I went to an BIAB false bottom from Brew Hardware.
Sadly, Brew Hardware doesn't offer a smaller one to fit a 6g pot, but there is an option from Amazon.

Are you planning on using strainer basket like the UniBrau system?
The strainer basket sucks for recirc, I've had much better results since I went to an BIAB false bottom from Brew Hardware.
Sadly, Brew Hardware doesn't offer a smaller one to fit a 6g pot, but there is an option from Amazon.

I put a mini ball valve on the outflow side of my pump and with minimal throttling my UniBrau system works great, basket and all.

inkbird prebuild pid = $75-95 (good for 120v system already) or $75-95 on a single homebuilt pid controller with mechanical and ssr relay (less if you skip the dual pole relay but also less safety)

bayou classic kettle with spigot = $75-125 depending on size(going based upon the 3 16 gallon bayou kettles I bought with spigots for $125 shipped from amazon and ebay as open box buys)

all stainless element $20-40 (again varies depending on 2 120v elements vs one 240v element)

Food grade economy pump $18 , tan p38 pps 24v , 3gpm pumps designed for pumping boiling temp liguid (not while actually boiling )
24v powersupply $5-10

that leaves around $50 for wiring and a bag and you still need a chiller.... Its very doable if you shop around for deals. but I dont think your going to get this as well as the stainless fermenter unless you use an old keg.. As mentioned above the stainless baskets may look cooler but do not force all the liquid through the bed more evenly like the bag will..

Chapman fermenter could aid the fiak idea. Portless can be found for around 99 bucks. I have 2 of the 7 gallons one and have used them for well over a year with excellent results.

Your boil kettle could easily be made for very cheap using a keggle. Most dont like them for biab, but I do. I flip them and use em bottom drain. Roll it around on a harbor freight dolly so the 90 degree elbow after the bottom drain clears the ground. I cut the whole bottom off at about the skirt seam, so the opening is 15.5 inches wide and would be easy enough for biab. Use what ever element set up and pid after.

Latest posts

Back