Corsendonk Xmas Ale AG Conversion to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
I found this Corsendonk Xmas Ale Clone recipe in another thread, but the poster was planning on doing a partial mash. I'm still a newbie and would like to convert this to an Extract recipe.

Here's the original recipe as found:
Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 24.2 %
5.8 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.9 %
3.2 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.6 %
7 lbs 0.1 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 4 56.4 %
1 lbs 2.1 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 9.1 %
11.4 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 6 5.8 %
1.59 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 11.9 IBUs
0.80 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
0.80 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 11 -
2.0 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12 -

Since a majority of the malts (7 lbs 0.1 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract) are already in extract form, do I need to convert the other grains or just leave them the same and steep them?

Just replace the 3 lbs of pilsner malt with 2.25 more lbs of pilsner LME (or 1.8 lb of pilsen DME). Steep the caramunich and special B.

Looks like you came across my posted recipe from last year. The brew came out great and the family has been asking for it again this year. I will be converting it to a All Grain brew this time around.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-non-kit-brew-corsendonk-christmas-ale-clone-435710/

Yep, that's where I found it. Thanks for providing the original recipe. I can't wait to brew it as I've never tried the original. I hope to get it done in time for the holidays to share at parties.

We first tried this beer several years ago at my local Irish Pub. They usually get in a keg during late Dec. If you don't keep your ear to the ground and get there within 1 or 2 days, its gone. The bottled version was pickup by our son the last two years and it was good but just doesn't compare to the keg. We did a side by side compare last Jan of our homebrew to the bottle and they were both good but a little different.

Hope your crowd enjoys this one.

jspain3,
did you ever make your version of this? Would love to hear how it turns out. I just mashed in on my 2014 All Grain version of this recipie and can't wait to see how it compares. I also am trying a new dry yeast "Safbrew Abbaye"

Brewed it today. Made some minor recipe alterations on the fly but the wort smelled great.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Keep us posted on how this turns out.

Update: it's been almost three weeks since I brewed this. I'm using a swamp cooler to keep the temperature in the mid 60s. The fermentation took off almost immediately, but after a day or two started to produce some sulfuric odors. After about a week, those odors subsided and now it just smells delicious. I haven't decided how long I'm going to keep it in the fermenter before bottling.

Have you had a chance to try yours yet this year? I just cracked open a 2014 version of mine that goes by the name "HO HO Argh!!!!' and it has begun to carbonate and has a more complex flavor than lst years extract version. Let us know how yours turns out.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1418346221.687732.jpgOh yeah, i bottled it before Thanksgiving. It's so good that I've had a hard time not drinking then all before the holiday parties. The flavors just jump out of the beer (Orange peel, coriander, that peppery spice note, etc.). The alcohol is warming but not overbearing.

I don't get much foam so I'm not sure if it's a lack of carbonation, conditioning time or what. But overall, we love it. It'll probably become an annual brew.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Cheers!

Back