Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
I'd love to get some corny kegs, mainly 'cause it looks soooooo much easier and faster than normal bottling.

But am I correct in assuming that I also need to have a means of chilling the cornies (unless I want to only drink room-temperature beer)?

Yes you need something to cool them and CO2 tank lines and some kind of tap. I found most of my stuff on Craigslist.

Pretty much. (Although I do have a spot in my basement that stays a steady 45° throughout the winter so I keep my kegs in there for three-four months.)

Anyway, CO2 goes into solution better when the beer is cold. Keep your eyes on Craigslist, esp near college campuses - people will be ditching fridges as part of spring cleaning and college kids will be getting rid of beer\dorm fridges.

I've carbonated kegs at 30 PSI at room temperature before. I use 12-14 PSI when I carbonate kegs inside the kegerator. You can carbonate them up so you can drink them later on. All you have to do is throw the keg in your kegerator and chill it down and it's ready to drink.

Oh and it IS way easier than bottling. Bottling sucks. My house was getting overrun with used and unused bottles EVERYWHERE. I'm so glad I switched.

Oh and it IS way easier than bottling. Bottling sucks. My house was getting overrun with used and unused bottles EVERYWHERE. I'm so glad I switched.

Same here. I gave away over 150 bottles to a new brewer. I do keep about a dozen on hand for people who want to take some home.

A solid Craigslist find will net you a cheap fridge. Going as cheap as possible, you can keep the Co2 tank inside the fridge as well and serve from a picnic tap. No need for a complete tap setup. The more kegs you get, and the more beer you brew, then you can insert x amount of taps, run the Co2 tank outside the fridge, etc.

Back