Corny keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbbrewing

Reaction score
So I just bought a 3.5 gallon corny keg that came with the little co2 canister to just dispense so I had to naturally carb it. This is probably a dumb question but after the first time I pour it, how long does it hold carbonation in the keg?

It will stay carbed as long as you keep it under serving pressure. If you release the pressure the carbonation will drop over a period of days to weeks as the CO2 is released into the dead space above the beer.

Think of a keg like 1 giant 5 gallon beer bottle.

If the keg contains carbonated beer and is pressurized (does not need to be connected to gas to remain pressurized), the beer will remain unchanged except for temperature changes and associated equilibrium points of the pCO2 in the beer and head-space. Same as a bottle of beer.

So as soon as i serve the first beer, the time starts ticking on how long it lasts. Would this problem be solved with being able to force carb with a bigger co2 tank?

So as soon as i serve the first beer, the time starts ticking on how long it lasts. Would this problem be solved with being able to force carb with a bigger co2 tank?

Slightly confused by the question. This may be due to my inexperience with the small CO2 dispenser you are using.

But, in a normal kegerator you have a large CO2 tank and a regulator. You set your regulator to your desired PSI. As you dispense beer the regulator keeps your head space at your desired PSI.

My guess with the small CO2 thing you are using is there is no regulator and it essentially "dumps" its CO2 when you connect it. So, your head space PSI will be higher at the beginning and as you dispense it will lower. That is just a guess.

But the worst that can happen is you have flat beer. You can always recarb a beer in a keg.

Back