Corny keg level gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
Is there a simple gauge to indicate the rough level of corny kegs? My DIY kegerator fits 2 snuggly so I can't (and don't want to) lift them to judge the weight. I would think that there is some type of temperature strip that can be applied to the keg.

Thanks in advance.

I keep a notebook in my coffee table. Each time I pour a glass, I add a little hash mark to the tally for the beer. When the count gets up over 30, I know I'm nearing the end of the keg.

Often you can see a distinct difference in condensation on the side of a keg.
Try wiping a vertical stripe with your finger and see if any hint appears...

Cheers!

Is it possible to install some digital scales under the kegs, and have a digital readout somewhere outside the kegerator? I guess you could put an empty keg with connections on the scale, zero it out, then fill up the keg.

That's the only thing I can think of for an at-a-glance level indicator. Unless you feel comfortable installing your own DIY sight glass that can withstand being pressurised.

has anyone ever silver soldered, or welded in a sight glass to a keg? sounds like a project... better yet a float switch incorporated to the last few inches of the keg, like a fuel ascending unit in a cars gas tank... just thinking...

1. Release Gas QD
  2. Release gas
  3. Open keg
  4. Insert yardstick
  5. Seal keg
  6. Install gas QD
  7. Repeat until done.
You might want to sanitize yardstick, or slather with hop oil.:mug:

1. Release Gas QD
  2. Release gas
  3. Open keg
  4. Insert yardstick
  5. Seal keg
  6. Install gas QD
  7. Repeat until done.
You might want to sanitize yardstick, or slather with hop oil.:mug:

Sounds like a very feasible option. Much more than the others. Although making a check mark with a notepad sounds pretty good too.

I heard this trick somewhere here. Put your hand on the keg roughly where you think the level is. If there's liquid there, it'll stay cold. If not your hand warms the side of the keg quickly. It doesn't take much effort to get a rough idea where the liquid level is.

Sounds like a very feasible option. Much more than the others. Although making a check mark with a notepad sounds pretty good too.

Yea, leaving notepad evidence around for the SWMBO or divorce lawyer seems like a good idea...I thought one of the advantages of kegging was nobody but you knows how much you've been drinking.:)

I have two kegs with exactly what you are describing. They turn pink/red at the liquid level when you put them in the kegerator. The problem is they stay cold and they don't work. You're better off knocking the keg with your knuckle to hear a hollow sound until you find out how full your kegs are. It's what I do and it's pretty simple to realize you're at about a half keg or less.

I assure you that the hand-held hanging luggage scale idea is MUCH easier, faster, and has zero cleanup. Sure it costs a 20-30$, but... 15 seconds per keg, including moving the serving/gas hoses out of the way. No sanitation issues.

We just rolled out a new keg level indicator on our website. It's called the ball and keg. Simple to use and it is very accurate. It does not require any electronics, wiring, flowmeters or other installations.

We just rolled out a new keg level indicator on our website. It's called the ball and keg. Simple to use and it is very accurate. It does not require any electronics, wiring, flowmeters or other installations.

I like this. Do you ship to canada?

wow that is awesome. i asked this same thing in a keg a while back, although i asked if anyone was marking their kegs. this seems like a fairly feasible solution!

Latest posts

Back