Corny Keg Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
Recently i've been working on kegging two of my brews before i leave for a week.... however every time i see some light at the end of the tunnel somehow i get pushed back a few steps.
I just cleaned the heck out of two kegs (full of sediment)
after filling with Star San Solution, i pressurized @ 15psi.
next day, both cornys were empty :confused:
So i then decided its time to replace the poppets, o-rings and so on....
Went to my lhbs and bought the universal poppets put everything back together and then pressurized at 30 psi overnight....
checked them this morning.... and just slight amount of co2 in the tanks...:mad:
Any ideas on what ive missed?
Should i replace the lids too???
i feel like they get a good seal...
have applied soapy stan san solution after pressurizing to see any air bubbles and no air bubbles!!!!!!

Try cleaning under the O-rings on the lids and in the lip where the O-ring seals. Sometimes nastys hide there it only takes a little pice of grump to cause a leak. Pressure them back up and take a spray bottle with liquid soap and watter and spray all the conections and check again for leaks.

Try cleaning under the O-rings on the lids and in the lip where the O-ring seals. Sometimes nastys hide there it only takes a little pice of grump to cause a leak. Pressure them back up and take a spray bottle with liquid soap and watter and spray all the conections and check again for leaks.

from what i recollect they are pretty darn clean, but ill double check.
(just an fyi i did put keg lube on the o-rings to help get a better seal, but with no success)

update... checked o-rings... all look fine.
changed position of lid.
applied keg lube.
pressurized kegs to 30 psi.
applied soapy water....no active bubbles around lid or inlet/outlet

You mentioned using keg lube around the 0-rings, but have you tried using it around your main lid seal? That was the source of our initial leak years ago.

Your kegs are emptying, but without any visible leaks?

If you have a leak, your co2 gas would be disappearing as well. Have you noticed any leaks around the co2 regulator? Try spraying that with a soapy solution.

Another thing you can do is stick the kegs in the bathtub and look for leaks that way.

If the gas is disappearing, there must be a leak somewhere.

Yooper said:
Your kegs are emptying, but without any visible leaks?

If you have a leak, your co2 gas would be disappearing as well. Have you noticed any leaks around the co2 regulator? Try spraying that with a soapy solution.

Another thing you can do is stick the kegs in the bathtub and look for leaks that way.

If the gas is disappearing, there must be a leak somewhere.

I don't think its my regulator I disconnect after a few mins and check pressure (lots of pressure in keg at that moment). Will try the bathtub.

If you filled the kegs with star san, and put it under pressure... the only way it could be empty is if star san is leaking out in great volume. Look for the damp spots.

On the other hand, if what you're concerned about is that you came back to the keg and there is little to no pressure in the headspace, I know where your CO2 went:

You just force-carbonated your star san solution.

kapbrew13 said:
Relief valve ? No lines. Yes. Just unscrew it and screw in new one.

Now that I think of it...while I was investigating my kegs this morning I did notice the relief lines were somewhat loose and I did tighten them up and pressurized them... Maybe that could of been the problem?

Raenon said:
If you filled the kegs with star san, and put it under pressure... the only way it could be empty is if star san is leaking out in great volume. Look for the damp spots.

On the other hand, if what you're concerned about is that you came back to the keg and there is little to no pressure in the headspace, I know where your CO2 went:

You just force-carbonated your star san solution.

Wouldnt it still have pressure??

Not until you completely carbonate the liquid. And it takes a charge for about three or four days to get there.

To pressure test a keg you want do it empty. I bet all your fittings were fine.

Not until you completely carbonate the liquid. And it takes a charge for about three or four days to get there.

To pressure test a keg you want do it empty. I bet all your fittings were fine.

I missed that. You have liquid in the keg now? If you do, empty it, and then pressure test.

Funny that this post should come up now. I'm running through all the same checks. I can't seem to keep pressure in my system. I finally took out all the gas lines and co2 3 way distributor and I will be submerging the lines in water tonight.

If that does not work I will be pressurizing my empty kegs to check for leaks.

Yooper said:
I missed that. You have liquid in the keg now? If you do, empty it, and then pressure test.

Is there a difference between starsan water and beer? I pressure it and disconnect it. Next day I pressure it again and there is still pressure in the keg from the previous day. I do this because not enough space in fridge. Or I'm not drinking fast enough. :)

kapbrew13 said:
Is there a difference between starsan water and beer? I pressure it and disconnect it. Next day I pressure it again and there is still pressure in the keg from the previous day. I do this because not enough space in fridge. Or I'm not drinking fast enough. :)

My thoughts exactly....

Back