Corny Keg as secondary help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFSpencer

Reaction score
Was thinking of grabbing a couple Midwest Supplies cheap cornies that don't hold pressure,to use as secondaries.Their description says "All posts, dip tubes and lids have been removed"....Is it going to be just as simple as getting a lid and plugging the connectors up with some stoppers? Just double checking as i have no experience using cornies at all.........

There is a couple ways to get air lock into them.. jusy search you will find it.. or just get some better bottles... about the same money

These are definitely cheaper than better bottles,plus smaller footprint.
Their description..."Keep in mind - these kegs will not hold pressure! All posts, dip tubes and lids have been removed - they will not hold pressure"......http://www.midwestsupplies.com/planter-corny-keg.html

No lid and no connectors.....So I'm thinking it'll just be as simple as popping on a lid and stoppers in the connector holes(one with an airlock)...Right?

These are definitely cheaper than better bottles,plus smaller footprint.
Their description..."Keep in mind - these kegs will not hold pressure! All posts, dip tubes and lids have been removed - they will not hold pressure"......http://www.midwestsupplies.com/planter-corny-keg.html

No lid and no connectors.....So I'm thinking it'll just be as simple as popping on a lid and stoppers in the connector holes(one with an airlock)...Right?

Well, yes. But lids are expensive, and by the time you buy a lid and two stoppers and the airlock, you've invested more than the cost of one carboy or better bottle for something that won't be versatile at all.

If you must use a secondary (I don't, except rarely), why not get a Better Bottle or something that can work as a primary fermenter also? Or another bucket?

Well, yes. But lids are expensive, and by the time you buy a lid and two stoppers and the airlock, you've invested more than the cost of one carboy or better bottle for something that won't be versatile at all.

If you must use a secondary (I don't, except rarely), why not get a Better Bottle or something that can work as a primary fermenter also? Or another bucket?

I dont secondary most beers either,just Belgians & Stouts that i want to bulk age....Lid,stoppers & airlock-im another $15 + $5 for the cornie,so $20 plus shipping.probably about the same as a carboy....The smaller footprint and the non shattering aspect of cornies is what I'm into.

Well, a corny would stack and fit very will with other corny's. That there is a great reason to use instead of a carboy. It would also fit very well into a keezer, has handles built in, and is not fragile. Seems like a number of good reasons to use the OP's idea.

Back