corn versus sugar in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a copy of Cream of Three Crops cream ale in two versions..... I've never made it before. One version would be exactly as per the recipe, and the other would eliminate the corn and rice and sub in sugar to achieve the proper gravity. Ordinary inexpensive beet sugar. Neither corn, nor rice are said to make any significant flavor contribution....... though some say you can taste a hint of corn flavor (others disagree).

I've used a lot of sugar in beer as opposed to ingredients like corn and rice, simply because it seems to me that it's pointless to use ingredients that contribute nothing to flavor... why bother? Sugar is cheap in quantity, and readily available, and also doesn't need to be mashed..... meaning that the bag is easier to lift.

H.W.

There is a flavor difference in my opinion. especially in a light lager (or cream ale) where there isnt so much else to cover it up. I think i can tell which cheap beers use corn vs rice. Post your results, it will be interesting to hear.

Might depend on how efficiently you can mash the starchy adjuncts.. will be hanging around for results!

It will be awhile before I get to this, as my fermenters are both full, probably 10 days until I can do the first one (with corn and rice). I carry plenty of amylase on hand. As I will know what the rice and corn yielded, hitting the target with sugar should be fairly easy by just testing the pre boil gravity and adding the correct amount of sugar to the second brew.

Anymore I use some sugar in almost every brew to keep the body and color light and keep the brew dry. It's a valuable and a cheap ingredient when used properly.

H.W.

I *think* you also get dextrins from the rice and corn, and you won't get that from sugar.

When I add sugar to beer (which isn't often but I have a few upcoming brews scheduled that use it) I add it at the beginning of the boil rather than the end -- so it can at least partially invert and maybe caramelize a little. I don't know if this really matters...

The next beer I make with corn, I'm going to use masa (tamale mix) and add it directly to the mash. It shouldn't need to be cooked first; at least that's my theory.

I have a lot of theories that haven't been properly exbeerimented yet. :)

I *think* you also get dextrins from the rice and corn, and you won't get that from sugar.

When I add sugar to beer (which isn't often but I have a few upcoming brews scheduled that use it) I add it at the beginning of the boil rather than the end -- so it can at least partially invert and maybe caramelize a little. I don't know if this really matters...

The next beer I make with corn, I'm going to use masa (tamale mix) and add it directly to the mash. It shouldn't need to be cooked first; at least that's my theory.

I have a lot of theories that haven't been properly exbeerimented yet. :)

good point about dextrins......... mashing a bit higher temp, and using a touch more sugar to compensate for the slightly reduced fermentability resulting from the higher mash temp should land one in the same ballpark.......... I always have either added at the beginning of the boil, or inverted using cream of tarter, boiling down to make an invert syrup to add to the boil or the fermenter.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back