Using up some random ingredients. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlitheryDee

General Manager
Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.25 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Equipment: 10 gallon BIAB 5.5 gallon batch
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %

Ingredients
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 42.9 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.4 %
2 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 12.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 5 8.9 %
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 16.3 IBUs
Est Color: 4.0 SRM

A while back I got an ounce of mosaic hops from the LHBS that I never did anything with, so I'm trying to use that as a late addition. Clearly I'm not looking for a lot of IBUs, but I want to get plenty of hop flavor. Right now I have mosaic and cascade as a 5 minute addition, but I'm wondering if maybe I would be better served using them as a flameout addition and bumping the 60 minute addition to 1 ounce. The reason the crystal is in there as the bittering hop is because I'm really trying to avoid any harshness in the bittering. I have some experience with crystal from biermuncher's cream of three crops, and it seems to provide the kind of smooth bitterness I'm looking for.

Coincidentally, I found some information about cohumulone levels being attributed to harsher bitterness and the crystal is the lowest cohumulone hop I have on hand. Go figure.

On hand I also have saaz, Willamette, and cascade hops. I stuck the cascade in there because it supposedly has a fruity, citrusy character that could complement the mosaic, and I really want to get a noticeable amount of hop flavor in this beer. I'd use more mosaic, but I only have the one ounce. Any thoughts about how cascade and mosaic will play together and/or the best way to get flavor and aroma out of them without significant bitterness contribution?

Other thoughts?

Cascade and mosaic work well, some simcoe as well would be good.

Do a hopstand or add them at flame out.

rice/corn looks a little high. I personally would drop the rice.

I would also up the hop late additions in general, as 2 Oz Imo isn't enough for a apa or ipa

Cascade and mosaic work well, some simcoe as well would be good.

Do a hopstand or add them at flame out.

rice/corn looks a little high. I personally would drop the rice.

I would also up the hop late additions in general, as 2 Oz Imo isn't enough for a apa or ipa

I have plenty more cascade, but only the one ounce of mosaic. Would a late addition of crystal, saaz, or Willamette fit in this mix? That's pretty much what I have to work with. The adjuncts are in there mostly to boost the alcohol level and because I have open packages of them waiting to be used up. I could substitute two row if I had to, but I'd have to dip into a vaccum sealed pack for it and I find I like lower body beers pretty well. I dunno if I want to change that or not.

I will definitely switch to flameout additions though and probably add more cascade unless one of my other hops fit.

Agree with Queequeg - if you are wanting noticeable hop flavour, you have to crank it more than that. My current brew has 6oz at flameout, 6oz dry hop. You get diminishing returns adding more, but generally more hops added at the right time equals more flavour.

Don't know how much cascade you have but I'd keep the 5 min cascade, move mosaic to flameout, add 2 oz cascade there, and 2oz more dry hop at least.

Ok so I acquired a pound of mosaic and decided to make this a single hop mosaic brew.

I'm dropping the crystal and making everything late additions or dry hops. The hopping schedule is as follows:

1oz mosaic @ 10 minutes
2oz mosaic @ steep/whirlpool 10 minutes
2oz mosaic dry hop 7 days

According to beersmith I'm going to get as many ibus from the steeping/whirlpool addition as I am the 10 minute boil addition, which is why I kept the boil addition at 1 ounce. I really don't want a lot of bitterness in this beer, but these hops smell quite nice. I want to add enough to get that quality in my beer. Does this look good to you guys?

Latest posts

Back