Corn sugar needed after fermenting with fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betkefest

Reaction score
I racked 5 gallons of wheat beer (after two weeks in a primary) onto four pounds of frozen mulberry and blackberries today. I expected some more fermentation but it's going crazy. And I see from other posts that I should have expected this.
I plan on letting it sit for about a week to ten days before bottling. I have a blow-off tube attached.
My question is, with so much extra sugar in the beer, do I need to add corn sugar when I bottle it? Maybe I should add a little - maybe less than a 1/2 cup?

You don't want to bottle until all fermentation has stopped or you risk bottle bombs as you have no idea how much fermentation is yet to come. Fermentation will stop when the alcohol content becomes high enough to disable the yeast or when all fermentable sugars have been fermented. Most beers do not have high enough alcohol content to stop the yeast so it continues until it has consumed all the sugar.

Once your beer has stopped fermenting, if you add sugars the yeast will consume them and excrete alcohol and carbon dioxide. That is what is desired when you bottle so yes, you do need to add the corn sugar if you want carbonation and you want to be sure the other sugars all gone first (use your hydrometer) and you want to measure the amount of sugar you add carefully so the bottles will be properly carbonated when the yeast runs out of sugar.

You'll want to make sure that fermentation from the fruit has stopped prior to bottling. Measure the gravity with a hydrometer for a few days to make sure that the gravity hasn't changed. Only then will you know that it has finished.

After that, use the normal amount of corn sugar to carbonate the bottles. You want to make sure that you finish fermentation in your fermenter, otherwise you could have bottle bombs!

Thanks for the advice - the gravity went from 1.05 to 1.015 after two weeks. I'll leave it be for a while and let it finish. It's hard not to micromanage and fret when doing something for the first time (in this case, a fruit beer).

Latest posts

Back