Corks pushing up to the cage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyole

Reaction score
Hi guys. I bottled a batch of tripel two weeks ago. Only the second time I've used corks and cages. All Belgian bottles so we're good there. The first batch didn't carb up quite enough and the corks were a real pita to get out.

So.. Today I take a look at the progress and the corks have pushed up to meet the cages. I'm wondering if I'm facing a bottle bomb situation here or is this normal.

This brew was in secondary for a good three months and attenuated perfectly. As far as priming sugar goes I searched numerous websites for a quantity for my volume and got a wide range of answers. So I went right down the middle.

Any help as always appreciated.

Was final gravity reached in the primary?? Time in primary and yeast brewed with? What was the volume bottled and the weight of, and type of , priming sugar used.
Could be the cages for the corks, were not initially snug to the corks.

Was final gravity reached in the primary?? Time in primary and yeast brewed with? What was the volume bottled and the weight of, and type of , priming sugar used.

Could be the cages for the corks, were not initially snug to the corks.

Final Gravity was hit no problem. Time in primary was about 14 days. Then secondary for 3 months. Brewed with WLP530. Final volume after a crazy blowoff situation during primary was 4.6 gallons. I used 170 grams of corn sugar.

Maybe I'm putting the corks too deep?

Anyway. Thanks for the response. I do want a lot of carb but I don't want bombs either.

You should be right around 3-3.3 volumes, then. Those bottles should handle that with no problem whatsoever.

The cork depth can be a little variable because as you've seen, they will pretty consistently push out up to the cage. It's a lot easier than not being able to get the cage locked on because you left them too high.

Back