Corking a Barleywine and Belgian questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
So I brewed a Belgian and decided I was going to cork it. This lead me to buying a Collona corker, corks, etc. Anyway, I also have a small batch of barley wine I should bottle soon. I wanted to use some Dogfish 750 ml champagne bottles for the barleywine that so my questions are

1) Can I use Belgian corks in those Dogfish bottles? I know back in the day 90 and some others came in those bottles corked.

2) What is the best way to store a corked beer, upright or on its side?

3) I have read about using a rubber stopper cut in half to allow the corker to only insert half way. Does this only work on floor corkers or will it work on the Collona as well?

Thanks!

1) Can I use Belgian corks in those Dogfish bottles? I know back in the day 90 and some others came in those bottles corked.

If the Dogfish bottles have a lip for the cage and the mouth isn't too narrow, I don't see why you couldn't cork them. I have two of those bottles myself and the Colonna, but I've always just capped on those DFH 750ml bottles.

2) What is the best way to store a corked beer, upright or on its side?

Upright. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store.php

3) I have read about using a rubber stopper cut in half to allow the corker to only insert half way. Does this only work on floor corkers or will it work on the Collona as well?

I have the Colonna, but I'm trying to picture where you would stuff the rubber stopper. Some floor corkers have adjustable depth, so you wouldn't even need a stopper to control that.

When I used mine (admittedly only once...did 19 corked Belgians), I just used my eyes to judge the depth. The big trick is to insert another cork after the one in the bottle...the second cork will push the corked bottle out. Otherwise, you have to wiggle the bottle a lot to release it.

1) Yes you can cork the 750ml DFH bottles
2) Upright as outlined in the beer advocate link, but I know many lambic producers do age the beer laid down.
3) I think the rubber stopper is specifically for floor corkers and not the colona capper. I don't know how to cork with one of those, I've only ever used a champagne floor corker.

Back