Copper Shards On Inside Of MLT Manifold Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbii

Reaction score
I'm working on a new round copper manifold for my 10gal GOTT mash tun. It's the round style using 1/2" ID copper tubing. I've cut notches with a dremmel tool to allow the wort to pass through. I've cleaned up the outside, but looking inside the tubing I see shards of copper sticking down from where I made the cuts. I'm concerned bits and pieces are going to come off as the beer flows through. Am I being silly or has anyone figured out how to remove them?

Copper is very ductile, and unless they're just hanging by a thread, I wouldn't worry about it.
You could try a #11 exacto blade to deburr if your still worried about it.

Get an appropriate sized wire brush and shove it into the pipe to deburr the inside.

I cut a slot in the end of a 3/8" dowel, slid a piece of plumber's cloth backed sandpaper into it, sized to wrap around the stick to a sliding fit inside the copper pipe, attached the other end to my variable speed drill and cleaned them out. I clamped the pipes in my Workmate to hold them still.

I just ran a few tun fulls of water through it.. some of them boiling... If by chance, anything did come loose, and make it into the wort, I'm quite sure it would instantly settle into the trub and yeast at the bottom of the fermenter which I don't drink anyways (cuz that would be nasty :D)......

I took a 1/2 inch piece of dowling and taped some emery cloth to it. Ran that inside, then took a wire brush for copper tubing and from the outside deburred the cuts I'd made. Did each about twice and it was clean and smooth!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm gonna try a couple of them. But ultimately I think r8rphan is right. If a couple of batches doesn't knock anything loose, worst case it'll get stuck in the trub. :)

I used a chainsaw sharpener to debur the inside. If you have something of the sort handy you can knock of the majority of them off. If not, then no worries. Copper shards taste delicious.

All joking aside though ..... don't worry about them.

Back