Copper scrubbie on pickup tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkF

Reaction score
I placed a copper scrubbie at the end of my pickup tube to act a a filter in my corny keg. Was this a bad idea? On initial tasting, I am picking up a metallic taste in my beer. I now think I read somewhere that copper isnt good around finished beer due to the acidity of the beer. Should I remove the scrubbie, or is it too late.

Mark

Remove it now, carefully, with sanitized hands and/or impliments. What exactly are you trying to filter out?

Hey, welcome to the forum. Premium supporter on first post? Man, make me feel like a grubbing bum.

The beer is a raspberry smoked porter. I was using the scrubbie to filter out any potential seeds from the raspberries, which probably arent there since I filtered through a grain bag when kegging.
I removed the scrubbie. It is a brighter copper color than when it first went in. Upon further reading of the scrubbie package, it turns out that the scrubbie is not copper, but copper coated. Oh well, live and learn. We'll see how it turns out.

I know Orfy uses those in his boil kettle, but the Ph is different there and it's only there for a short period of time. If anything, maybe sanitize a small hop bag around the end of the dip tube. Raspberry bits are MIGHTY disgusting when unexpected in beer (who spat a loogey in my beer?)

They make those things in stainless too but I don't think you needed it either. I actually got a used keg that had a fine stainless screen tube running half way up the dip tube. I wonder if it's a commercial product or something Cornelius was using for a while.

I have a SureScreen that I usually use, but couldnt find it.

Latest posts

Back