• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Illinois copper pipe wrapped ball lock 3 gallon corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
So this came out of a cornelius soda fountain. It is wrapped in copper pipe that was used to cool the carbonated water inside. The copper pipe does not leak but it is dented some so flow is restricted but does run.

The lid has several... modifications. I can flip it out for a normal lid if you prefer. The modifications are #1 has a connection to test if the tank is full I think - two probes that go down and I imagine you could test when current passes between them the tank is full. #2 a nipple that in the picture attaches to a white hose and ends with a female flare fitting (I put a ball lock connector on it to plug it while pressure testing). The lid does have a pressure relief valve.

I put normal ball lock connectors on it, but I can sub out for the original one that came with it (in the picture) Seems like it would be used for some sort of side connection.

It does have the screws to add a handle if desired.

Clean inside, holds pressure. Could be useful as a simple 3 gallon short keg to fit where others can't; as a substitute for a jocky box - just insulate it and run cold water through the lines. Looks pretty steampunk if you want to use it to build a cool exposed kegging system.

$50 plus shipping, local pickup preferred
Shipping is from 60102 weight... I would guess 20lb will weigh it tonight
I can ship USPS or UPS

FfJGzTD.jpg

O97bcmQ.jpg

gM5m4Qh.jpg

O1XFB0C.jpg

Vp1FmCs.jpg

LbfnmEX.jpg

49To10O.jpg

D5lyBss.jpg

Pm4XM2l.jpg

This looks like some type of soda carbonator setup. Likely it would be placed into an ice bank and the incoming water would go through a high pressure water pump and then through the coil to cool down then get sprayed into the tank while under CO2 pressure. The water pump would run until the carbonator tank is full as detected by the probes. Works great for making sparkling water almost instantly, but would foam up too much with beer.

Thanks for the info Paul. When I took the unit apart there was no way for it to be in an ice bath, but it was insulated. The pipe is double walled so it could have had refrigerant on the outside and water on the inside to be sprayed into the tank. Agreed it would foam too much for beer, but it could still be filled and used as a normal 3 gallon keg if desired, or whatever crazyness someone comes up with to modify it :)

Pretty cool piece. Could be made into a sweet portable setup with the coil soldered to the outside. Add a separate remote cooler with a pond pump and recirculating or something.

Pretty cool piece. Could be made into a sweet portable setup with the coil soldered to the outside. Add a separate remote cooler with a pond pump and recirculating or something.

That was my plan for it :) Just out of room and time for projects. I hope it can find a home where someone can do something cool with it.

FYI to all I weighed it and it is 18lbs so if anyone wants it shipped you can calculate shipping from 60102. I prefer USPS or UPS to ship from.

Back