Copper Manifold problem/question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCorley

Reaction score
So I've been serching for an answer to this and couldn't seem to find it.
I have only one all grain under my belt and it was a small batch. I just build my manifold yesterday and installed it and noticed that my HD cooler is raised in the center of the bottom. One photo is where water pools at the true bottom of the tun. Also other photo shows how my manifold doesn't fully rest on the bottom due to the raised shape.

Basically I just need to know if this is a serious problem. It's only a bout 1/4 to 1/2 an inch above sitting a little lopsided but having never done this before I'm over analyzing everything. Will grain sit under this or will it compact down? Will this hurt my efficiency or create channeling due to the back being slightly raised?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

That's a very small amount, nothing to worry about. Nice manifold by the way.
I have seen manifolds done with 45s to make them octagonal, but yours looks fine just the way it is.

Agreed. Very small amount; especially when most of it is occupied by grain husks. Looks great.

Measure how much is left and call it your "Deadspace". Everyone has some and it is easily accounted for in your recipes. At worst it will make you add a very small amount more grain to reach an efficiency equal to what you might get with a flat bottom.

RDWHAHB!!

Not a problem for the grain bed, but it will raise your dead loss a little. From the looks of it though it's probably not even a cup of dead loss. Just mash with it and enjoy.

If you're still worried you could make a circular manifold out of 3/8" flexible copper tube that will closer match the shape on the bottom of the cooler, but 3/8" tube and fittings cost about 4 times as much as 1/2", presumably because they sell alot less of it. If you go that route space the ring about 1/3 the radius away from the wall to get even flow.

Back