Coopers IPA - Add LME or just Dextrose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bibowski

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a batch of the Coopers IPA kit tonight and I had a question about adding LME and Dextrose, or JUST Dextrose to the batch?

It says to add 500g of DME and 300g of Dextrose on the can itself. I bought the kit from Better Bitters brewery (who is actually a commercial brewery as well) and they said they don't even stock DME since it's much more refined and... well... crappier than LME. They gave me a pretty big container of LME and a ton of dextrose.

Should I simply substitute the 500g of DME with LME instead? And still only use 300g of Dextrose?

The sugar will dry it out some. Personally I would use all extract and lose the sugar. I will make for a maltier brew. DME is by better than LME. Longer shelf life. Does not get as funky with age like LME and does not caramelize as easily.

DMEdoesn't caramelize in the boil any where near as easy as LME does. And I've gotten good flavors from them too. I use DME in the boil,adding the other half of the DME & all the LME at flame out to cover & steep 15 minutes.

How come?

It's for one, easier to handle, but both suck in terms of that.

It also doesn't caramelize and darken the beers like LME does. I just find that DME taste better if you are brewing with extract, than it does with LME.

Doing late extract additions is helpful, and downright THE way to do it, but in some cases, it still doesn't help as much.

Also, when I did extract, I hated the idea of paying for water in the extract... I dunno why that bothered me.

Main gripe, was that liquid was a PITA to deal with, didn't last as long, and it burned and made the beer darker in almost all cases than I wanted.

Back