Coopers European Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronb454

Reaction score
Hi all, I just put the pot to cool in the sink. I am making Coopers European Lager and I am looking forward to drinking it in a few weeks. Coopers recommends once it is in the bottle, wait 12 weeks for full conditioning. Looks like I will have to make room for another bucket...this time Coopers Mexican Cerveza.

I will let y'all know how it turns out.
ronb

I'd suggest you try one bottle at 3 weeks to see if it is to your liking. If not, wait another week before trying the next. Many of my beers are ready to drink at 3 weeks, some even less.

I'd suggest you try one bottle at 3 weeks to see if it is to your liking. If not, wait another week before trying the next. Many of my beers are ready to drink at 3 weeks, some even less.

I am always impatient...I never wait the full time before I test it. Usually as I drink the last beer, on the last day of the recommended time, I say to myself, yep, that's good stuff. I will wait longer next time...yeah right.

I am always impatient...I never wait the full time before I test it. Usually as I drink the last beer, on the last day of the recommended time, I say to myself, yep, that's good stuff. I will wait longer next time...yeah right.

I find it easier to hold off on that last bottle if I have more batches brewing and bottled.

I find it easier to hold off on that last bottle if I have more batches brewing and bottled.

I can only afford to brew every 2 months. Beer goes fast and the brewing don't keep up. I am trying to save and do 2-3 buckets at a time but it is hard. Beer money is also grocery money.

***Update***
I have been enjoying both the European Lager as well as the Mexican Cerveza...both Coopers brew cans. I must have done something right because these beers taste better than anything else I have done.

It took a couple weeks in the bottle and a couple days in the fridge and I am satisfied that the tastes will get much better. But, they are very good now so, last week I ordered a Coopers Preachers Hefe. When I am sure I have enough bottles to use I will start that. I only have to count, because I have been saving commercial bottles for a long time.

This is really fun when things go right.

Both batches were enhanced exactly alike. I got Coopers Enhancer 2; I added 1# of pilsner light DME and 1# of dextrose to each batch. I also added 4 oz of Carapils ( I forgot that stuff needs to be steeped in a bag, not given a dunk in the tub) But I have a big filter I used for wine and all but the very fine trub filtered out. It even tasted good. I also added a tablespoon of Fermax to the hot wort.

I let both ferment 10 days and got a final reading of about 5.7% abv. Maybe a little more with the Prime.
I looked at my online calendar and all my notes are gone so I can't give you numbers. They seemed to have disappeared when win10 updated. I will make up a chart and keep notes next time.

Anyway, I did have more patience this time and am reaping the benefits. Thanks for all the help. Next batch will start in a few days.

I found the recipes I used:

10-14-18

Brew Coopers Euro Lager

Added to the can:

1 Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

1 lb. Dex

1 lb. Pils Light DME

4 oz. Carapils Malt

1 Brew Can of Hopped LME: Coopers Euro Lager

Cooled until about 2:40pm

Pitched yeast about 2:45pm

Temp 70*F

SG/OG 1.053 If fermented to 1.0 the abv will be 6.8. (+ .5% for prime sugar)

Ferment about 10 days then take a reading. 10/21/18: 1.009

Fermentation started 10/14/18 at about 9:47 pm.(Appx. 9 hours from Pitch yeast)

Fermentation very strong 10/16/18

1.053 - 1.010=.043....043/.776=5.54%...add .005% for prime. Final ABV is 5.545%

7.7% by Refractometer, but the original gravity was a from a Hydrometer and the final was calculated in Brix using the refractometer. More comparison testing needed to see how close the two tools are in their readings.

Bottled 10/25/18

Coopers Mexican Cerveza

5.75 gallon (final volume) batch with OG of 1.051 (+ .5% for prime sugar)

Additives:

1 Kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

1# Pilsner Lite DME

1# Dextrose

4 oz Carapils malt to aid head retention

Heated all ingredients to boiling and removed from heat

Added can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza Hopped LME

Cooled to 110* in sink and added cold filtered water to lower temp to 70*

Pitched yeast at 70* and covered bucket.

Attach air lock

Ferment 10 days and check

Fermentation began at 3:40 pm 10/15/18 (appx 6 hours from pitch yeast.)

Fermentation very strong 10/16/18

1.051 - 1.010 = .041; .041/ .776 = 5.3%. Prime will make it appx 5.8%.

Bottled 10/25/18

Last edited:
When I am sure I have enough bottles to use I will start that. I only have to count, because I have been saving commercial bottles for a long time.

Hopefully your bottles are not the screw-off type. Some people have trouble getting the caps to seal properly on those.

Hopefully your bottles are not the screw-off type. Some people have trouble getting the caps to seal properly on those.

ronb454 said:
I have some and also crown cap. The metal caps leak on one or 2 occasionally. 3-4 of the plastic bottles have sealed so well that the bottoms have bulged, while some of the plastics in the same batch have not. Neither type are perfect.

I have saved Frosty root beer bottles in the quart size...no prob. A&W in the 16.9 oz...they have lasted longer than the MrBeer. Some of them I have used since 2013. I save ALDI bottles and have bought glass beer bottles in 22 oz and 12 oz. online and the only swelled plastic bottles I get are the older type Mr Beer pre-Coopers bottles. We're good here.

ronb454 said:
I have some and also crown cap. The metal caps leak on one or 2 occasionally. 3-4 of the plastic bottles have sealed so well that the bottoms have bulged, while some of the plastics in the same batch have not. Neither type are perfect.

I have saved Frosty root beer bottles in the quart size...no prob. A&W in the 16.9 oz...they have lasted longer than the MrBeer. Some of them I have used since 2013. I save ALDI bottles and have bought glass beer bottles in 22 oz and 12 oz. online and the only swelled plastic bottles I get are the older type Mr Beer pre-Coopers bottles. We're good here.

Oh, no screw top glass bottles though. I toss them but save the carrier.

I just mixed a batch of coopers european last night. My yeast pitch temp was 62 degrees (16 C). Is that too low - not for fermenting, but to pitch/start the yeast? my room temp is about the same 64-66 (17-18 C) degrees.

My SG was also just 1.038. Seemed a little on the low side I used a brew enhancer with the kit. Can/should I add a little sugar/dextrose/glucose to increase my ABV? Will that hurt/change my taste?

Thoughts appreciated....

17-18 degreesis not to low, afaik the European Lager comes with a lager yeast.

I would not any more sugar.

17-18 degreesis not to low, afaik the European Lager comes with a lager yeast.

I would not any more sugar.
Yes it does, and the instructions indicate yeast will ferment at 13 C. Instructions still say to pitch around 20. Can I assume it will kick in at some point?

Same as my Canadian Red did, at similar pitch/room temps.

Been waiting 24 hours and yet to see some bubbles. No development. Am i being too nervy? Is there a reasonable time to wait before I see some action? Might I never see action from this lager?

Been waiting 24 hours and yet to see some bubbles. No development. Am i being too nervy? Is there a reasonable time to wait before I see some action? Might I never see action from this lager?

Are you using a Coopers or another brand? Coopers yeasts are not specific to style. They are formulated to work best at nearly the same temps as other yeasts. I fermented with temps around 65-66*F. Normal temps are about 68-76*F. Try to boost the temp a couple degrees and let it set. It will probably start on its' own but a little heat won't hurt it. Just don't let it get up to ale temps of 68-76*F. Try for 70 or a bit lower. If it is not a Coopers yeast you need to call the company and ask their advice. You asked about adding Dextrose? I do it all the time but only when I am building the batch. It goes into the hot wort and is sterilized in the process. Adding dex to an already started batch will require heating some water and adding more than a pound of dex to the water. Usually a couple cups of water will dissolve 1 pound of dex. I was told that 1 lb boosts 1% in a 6 gallon batch but I don't ever seem to d=get that degree of abv boost.

I also use a couple tablespoons of Fermax yeast food. Not too much though because the yeast will eat the fertilizer and poop out before it gets all the sugars fermented. I had a stalled fermentation and had to give the batch a stir and pitch more yeast. That worked but it is extra expense. I hope you get it going so just be patient.

Oh, mentioning yeast...Lager yeast ferments on the bottom of the batch. Ale yeast ferments on top. There will still be carbon dioxide buildup on the surface, but more foam on top from the ale yeast than from lager...that is how it was described to me. I always use Coopers brew cans and their yeasts except for one style...I forget which...are all the same and they are formulated to work within a longer range of temps, but they are ale yeasts, even the yeast you get with the European Lager brew can.

(I hope all the above doesn't confuse too much...What I would do? First, warm it up a little bit. If that don't work, give it a quick stir without whipping in a lot of air.)

I always use Coopers brew cans and their yeasts except for one style...I forget which...are all the same and they are formulated to work within a longer range of temps, but they are ale yeasts, even the yeast you get with the European Lager brew can.

Where did you get this information? Every source I have seen says that the European Lager Kit comes with a lager yeast.

My ales often take 24 to 36 hours to show action. Lagers are inherently slower because of the yeast and the lower temperatures. If you don't see activity in 72 hours, then you worry and pitch more yeast.

Some action overnight. Developing some Krausen and few bubbles making it out through my blow off. Not as robust as my Canadian Red, but has a day or so to catch up. I also have a larger headroom in this pale so a fair bit of CO2 can build up in there before blowing off. Temp on my primary is 62 F or 17 C.

My Coopers kit specifically states the yeast that comes with their Lager i different than regular yeast, and ferments at 13 C.

See special Euro Lager instructions here - page #3:

https://www.millhouse.ca/PDF/int-_under_lid_instructions_(2).pdf

Where did you get this information? Every source I have seen says that the European Lager Kit comes with a lager yeast.

I emailed coopers/Mr. Beer and that is what they told me.

Some action overnight. Developing some Krausen and few bubbles making it out through my blow off. Not as robust as my Canadian Red, but has a day or so to catch up. I also have a larger headroom in this pale so a fair bit of CO2 can build up in there before blowing off. Temp on my primary is 62 F or 17 C.

My Coopers kit specifically states the yeast that comes with their Lager i different than regular yeast, and ferments at 13 C.

See special Euro Lager instructions here - page #3:

https://www.millhouse.ca/PDF/int-_under_lid_instructions_(2).pdf

That's it...it is the European Lager that uses that different yeast. Sorry. I do not receive any under lid instructions and your sheet is way more informative that the peel off sheet I get from the can. I checked my notes and my Lager started 7 hours after pitching. Went hard for 2 days and slowed a little. I bottled at 11 days.

That's it...it is the European Lager that uses that different yeast. Sorry. I do not receive any under lid instructions and your sheet is way more informative that the peel off sheet I get from the can. I checked my notes and my Lager started 7 hours after pitching. Went hard for 2 days and slowed a little. I bottled at 11 days.

Well, in fairness, I never got ANY instructions with my Coopers, so I googled it. I hope that form is accurate.

Naturally, I run downstairs every 30 minutes to see if activity has increased but it is just moving along at its own pace, and in no real hurry. A blob of bubbles perhaps every minute. Nothing outrageous. Hope it don't fade away. My primary temp is a steady 62/17 degrees, so cooler. Room is not much warmer, if at all.

Meanwhile, my red ale is frigging huffing and puffing like a champion.

Well, in fairness, I never got ANY instructions with my Coopers, so I googled it. I hope that form is accurate.

Naturally, I run downstairs every 30 minutes to see if activity has increased but it is just moving along at its own pace, and in no real hurry. A blob of bubbles perhaps every minute. Nothing outrageous. Hope it don't fade away. My primary temp is a steady 62/17 degrees, so cooler. Room is not much warmer, if at all.

It took 2 days for my Lager to build up steam and act like I thought it should be acting. If it is sending up bubbles it is doing fine. Let it do it's thing. It knows better that we know, what it is supposed to do. Wait the number of days and then a couple more. Test the SG and if it is where it should be, bottle it. It will be much clearer on top and in the wort as the yeast does its cleanup.

Give it time. Lagers take longer. My Coopers said bottle when the sg is steady 2 days. THEN, let it set up to 12 weeks after bottling. Mine is all gone and it turned out great, (for my taste which just likes beer and does not know one style from another, except that some are as bitter as H and some not quite so bitter.)

Weak minds must think alike...I just got my brew can of Coopers Dark Ale today so in the next couple days I will be making that and a Preachers Hefe. I wasn't smart...I drank what I had and didn't brew the Hefe soon enough to fill the gap for when one of the others ran out.

Last edited:
It took 2 days for my Lager to build up steam and act like I thought it should be acting. If it is sending up bubbles it is doing fine. Let it do it's thing. It knows better that we know, what it is supposed to do. Wait the number of days and then a couple more. Test the SG and if it is where it should be, bottle it. It will be much clearer on top and in the wort as the yeast does its cleanup.

Give it time. Lagers take longer. My Coopers said bottle when the sg is steady 2 days. THEN, let it set up to 12 weeks after bottling. Mine is all gone and it turned out great, (for my taste which just likes beer and does not know one style from another, except that some are as bitter as H and some not quite so bitter.)

Weak minds must think alike...I just got my brew can of Coopers Dark Ale today so in the next couple days I will be making that and a Preachers Hefe. I wasn't smart...I drank what I had and didn't brew the Hefe soon enough to fill the gap for when one of the others ran out.
I have a red and a lager on a tthe minute. I am thinking on getting a third started, so I can let some of the bottles rest for a month or so. I cant see that happening to be honest.

Anyone care to recommend a decent IPA or Amber malt extract? I like IPA's but nothing over the top. I also started liking a Mill Street Ale (100th Meridian) which is classed as an Organic Amber but hints at an IPA to taste. Wonder if I can get their recipe, and try an all grain job.

Bought a few cans of the muntons because they were around $10 from label peelers and usually hover around there..
You can't beat 5 to 6 gallons of beer (even if it's not great) for that cheap.

So far I made the brown ale... It turned out as a pretty good Bavarian Dunkel...

Update on my coopers euro. Stil fermenting slowly at 62 /17 degrees. Does anyone cold crash these extract beers. Is it worth it? I plan on giving mine a 48 hour cold crash all the same. Baby.... It's cold outside...... Am I allowed to say that ;)

Bought a few cans of the muntons because they were around $10 from label peelers and usually hover around there..
You can't beat 5 to 6 gallons of beer (even if it's not great) for that cheap.

So far I made the brown ale... It turned out as a pretty good Bavarian Dunkel...

I got my bottle capper from them. I will have to check out their beer kits.

I just mixed a batch of coopers european last night. My yeast pitch temp was 62 degrees (16 C). Is that too low - not for fermenting, but to pitch/start the yeast? my room temp is about the same 64-66 (17-18 C) degrees.

My SG was also just 1.038. Seemed a little on the low side I used a brew enhancer with the kit. Can/should I add a little sugar/dextrose/glucose to increase my ABV? Will that hurt/change my taste?

Thoughts appreciated....

Try a pound of DME and a pound of dextrose plus an enhancer. BE2 I believe. It will make a big difference. Don't add more yet. Taste that batch and if you like it, leave it. Next batch add a little more of either/or. Too much of either will upset the balance of hops and head retention. Just as when the guy asked the old man "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" and the old feller replied, "Practice son, practice." You can't take out thee too much but you can a little more next time around.

Look on the Coopers Can for the label tab. They don't put the instructions under the lid anymore. The instructions are all that super small print.

Label Tab 2.jpg
Label Tab.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all, I just put the pot to cool in the sink. I am making Coopers European Lager and I am looking forward to drinking it in a few weeks. Coopers recommends once it is in the bottle, wait 12 weeks for full conditioning. Looks like I will have to make room for another bucket...this time Coopers Mexican Cerveza.

I will let y'all know how it turns out.
ronb

I had an idea but I forgot to get the stuff. But I have tried this in the past and it worked great. I have a soda stream drink carbonator. It not only makes good pop but it also carbonated my beer...in their bottles only. But it works and it is fast and the beer can be allowed to rest in the bucket or fermenter and used a bottle at a time. It fizzes over at times but that is ok. It can be rinsed and drank immediately.

Back