Cooper's Carbonation Drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anybody ever use these? I'm thinking about using them for competitions when I only want to bottle 5-10 bottles.

Let me know the ups, the downs, etc...

Thanks!

I have used them, only problem is your bottle size and you might have to chop one up for pint size. Otherwise simple

"The dosage required is 1 drop per 345-375ml (12 oz) or 2 drops per 740-750ml bottle"

I use them. They are pretty good. After kegging, I can still fill up to 6 355ml bottles, so I just drop one in each and it's good. I wouldn't want to figure out how much sugar to prime 6 bottles and the drops are way more convenient.

will they give the same effects as bottle conditioning if you were to store them for a period of time?

i've been thinking of use these since i recently started kegging, and i've heard that if you bottle beer straight from the keg using a homemade type beer gun (supposedly blichman is better for this) that the beer wont remain stable for long aging periods.

They work great. I always swirl the bottles up the next day as the sugar tends to sink to the bottom after the lozenge melts.

I like them better than the Munton Tabs. Basically, they are just hardened sugar. You'd do better to precisely measure table sugar into the bottles.

I have a batch of beer that I used honey as the priming suger, its been 6 weeks and I have little carbination, could I take the caps off and pop one of these in each bottle or not??

Eischman,

Is there a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottles? If so, gently swirl up the yeast layer and let the bottles sit at a high temp (like 80-90) for a week or two then check again.

Also, Eischman, how long in between primary and bottling?

You may now this, but often a large gap there will let the yeast settle out too much, and bottle conditioning might require extra yeast additions to be effective. I keg, but I've heard this is quite common with lagering. Otherwise, maybe not enough honey was added?

Adding the drops won't ruin anything, might over carb a little, and it might do nothing if the yeasties are already all deag or gone.

Please try the re-swirl and wait at high temp before adding any more sugar.
It might just be slooooow fermentation due to weak yeast or cold temps and adding extra sugar would give you bombs if the temp ramps up or if they are stored for a long time.

Please try the re-swirl and wait at high temp before adding any more sugar.
It might just be slooooow fermentation due to weak yeast or cold temps and adding extra sugar would give you bombs if the temp ramps up or if they are stored for a long time.

Yes. I do agree that you should do this first!! Forgot to add that.

Rasherb,Yes there is yeast on the bottom and I swirled them up, but Wisconsin is not up to 80-90 degrees yet (July)
Noeldundas, Brewed on 3-15, moved to secondary on 3-29, and bottled on 4-5
I used one cup of honey (This is a Honey Hef beer)

Thanks!

I put a small ceramic heater in the closet to crank up the heat but it will only be on while Im home, so I hope that will help!

1/2 cup honey is about what I use in 5 gal.

You just need a good swirl, a warm place, and two weeks.

If you did 1 cup honey in 5 gal, you'll probably have a lot of foam and a little beer once those puppies carb up.

Try them again in a week. If they are carbed nicely, put as many in the fridge as you can and start drinking before they over carb.

Latest posts

Back