Coopers carbonating tablets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used them along time ago to recover from an issue with bottle priming. Popped the tops on the remaining undercarbed beers, gave them the recommended amount and re-capped. Worked fine.

I will use them for my first time bottling condition this weekend.
I have Muntons not Cooper but I think it is not different just the size of the tablet.
The Muntons package has the instruction by drop 4 tablets for 330 ml. bottle for the normal carb level.

Never touched them. Even when I was bottle carbonating. I would just mix up the priming solution, as per the calculator (site) and then bottle. I'd rather have a solid idea of what carbonation level I'll have than the drops will give. Same thing with the generic 5oz bag of priming sugar. Never used that either. I always used sugar I had (either cane sugar or honey) to prime with. Now that I keg, I don't need to worry about that at all. :ban:

They suck. Lots of broken tabs make it unclear exactly how much to add. Skip em, they're a gimmick and a rip off as well.

I just used the muntons for some hard cider that I made a gallon of. They will be ready in about a week. The tabs dissolved well.

Golddiggie said:
Never touched them. Even when I was bottle carbonating. I would just mix up the priming solution, as per the calculator (site) and then bottle. I'd rather have a solid idea of what carbonation level I'll have than the drops will give. Same thing with the generic 5oz bag of priming sugar. Never used that either. I always used sugar I had (either cane sugar or honey) to prime with. Now that I keg, I don't need to worry about that at all. :ban:

I liked the idea of using honey.
How would you do that?
How to calculate the amount?

How do you ad the honey?
Just stright inn or do you ad it to boiling water or ......?

How do you ad the honey?
Just stright inn or do you ad it to boiling water or ......?

I NEVER boil honey. Mix it with warm water to get it thin enough to mix in. Then use it just as you would regular priming solution.

You can use this tool to figure out how much honey to add: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13524782#tag

OR, figure out how much regular priming sugar you would use, then use 1.25x that (by WEIGHT) in honey.

Keep in mind, the sugar content of honey is not a fixed value. It varies from harvest to harvest, between regions, apiaries, etc. I would advise aiming for the middle CO2 volumes number for the style when using honey. That way, if the honey is higher in sugar level, you're not over carbonated. If it's lower in sugar level, you won't be under carbonated.

They work great for me. I keg all but a few bottles and use the drops. I wouldn't do the whole batch with them because priming an entire batch is super simple.

Back