Coopers beer extract kit half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowm0n

Reaction score
Hello I'm looking to get some opinions on something. I have a 10 Liter vessel and im fine with 10 liter batches.

The IPA from coopers says it can make 23 liters. Now half of the can should make 11.5 liters but i dont have the capability of brewing that extra 1.5 liters.

Now my question is, If i split the extract kit in half but only use 10 Liters of water instead of the 11.5 Liters. Will that extra extract be too strong or thicker body or any negative change or taste to the beer? Or should I half the kit to only use the 10 liter measurement thus making 2 different batches at 2 different times each and I would have whatever extract left in the can to technically make a 3 liter batch (Thus making it a perfect 10 liter batch each time) Will this make the alcohol content stronger or make the beer taste better or worse?

Thanks in advance!

People make everting from 16-23 litres from one can (remember to add DME or similar to the wort unless you want a low ABV beer). Some use two cans for one batch.
The only issue with using have the can to make 10 litres is what are you going to do with the other half? I would not open the can and store it for days before using the rest of it.
There is "half" batches kits for sale, I would use one of these instead.

People make everting from 16-23 litres from one can (remember to add DME or similar to the wort unless you want a low ABV beer). Some use two cans for one batch.
The only issue with using have the can to make 10 litres is what are you going to do with the other half? I would not open the can and store it for days before using the rest of it.
There is "half" batches kits for sale, I would use one of these instead.

I was going to lock it up in a thick ziplock bag and fridge it for a few weeks a most 1-3 weeks. I don't have any powdered malt extract or the brew enhancers they recommend. I have dextrose only. Will this be enough to brin up the alcohol content? I used the calulator for brewing and at 10 liters If i add 1.2kg of dextrose the alcohol content would be around 5% Do i absolutely need a malt powder add on to this mix or will this can + 1.2kg of dextrose be enough for a decent brew?

thanks!

As I wrote, I would never partially use a can and store the rest for later, but you are ofcourse free to do it if you want.
Dextrose will absolutely bring up the alcohol content, however, 1.2 kg for 10 litres would be alot. I has been popular to do "kit and kilo" for the Coopers kit so maybe 0.5 kg would be more in place. By my calculations, half a can + 0.5kg dextrose will make you close to 5% abv.

As I wrote, I would never partially use a can and store the rest for later, but you are ofcourse free to do it if you want.
Dextrose will absolutely bring up the alcohol content, however, 1.2 kg for 10 litres would be alot. I has been popular to do "kit and kilo" for the Coopers kit so maybe 0.5 kg would be more in place. By my calculations, half a can + 0.5kg dextrose will make you close to 5% abv.

I must be using the calculator wrong. For 0.5kg it's showing me a 2.3% ABV. Attached a screenshot

thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-10-11-55-06.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-10-11-55-06.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 17
Yes, 2.3% from the sugar, and then the rest from the can of malt extract.

Yes, 2.3% from the sugar, and then the rest from the can of malt extract.

Ok makes sense lol..Why wouldn't the calculator add in the half or full can proportion for a true final calculation for us noobs? Appreciate the help!

Back