cooler mash tun adjusting false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturkish

Reaction score
For mashing I have a question on how I should set a nut that is above my false bottom, should I screw it down to the lowest possible setting without it falling off the dip tube or should I screw it upward to set at the highest setting on the dip tube?

My false bottom sits on the floor of the cooler with no nut under it for attaching to the dip tube, there's just a nut above it that I set to the highest setting so I can spray underneath it for cleaning

Does this nut set the gap between the lowest point of the dip tube and the cooler floor?
If so, adjust the nut so there's at least a good 1/4" gap, especially if you're pumping the MLT output.
There can be a substantial amount of force applied to an FB if pumping and if you don't maintain a decent gap you can end up with the dip tube slammed against the cooler floor...

Cheers!

It doesn't, dip tube position doesn't move. This nut is just above the fb and literally doesn't adjust anything except maybe how far up the dip tube the fb can travel.

I struggled with that too. I no longer use a cooler, but am looking forward to what you hear back

So adjusting that nut should change the distance between the bottom of the pickup and the cooler floor. I say thread that nut on as far as it will go, this will maximize your pickup and leave the least amount of liquid in the mash tun.

Latest posts

Back