Cooler fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Converting a rubermaid cooler into a MLT. I've decided to go with a false bottom and 1/2" ballvalve (Good decision over 3/8" valve?) I've noticed that all false bottoms come with a 3/8" elbow so I'm wondering what I would need to connect the 3/8" elbow? Would I need a 1/2" to 3/8" converter that would connect to a 3/8" barb and from there some tubing to connect to the elbow? Do I need a bulkhead?

Thanks

I did the same set up. Bargainfittings.com sells a great bulkhead that works perfectly. I have 3/8 to 3/8 inside between the bulkhead barb and false bottom connected with hi-temp silicon tubing. On my ball valve I have a 1/2 inch barb - makes 3/8 tubing snug fit.

I did the same set up. Bargainfittings.com sells a great bulkhead that works perfectly. I have 3/8 to 3/8 inside between the bulkhead barb and false bottom connected with hi-temp silicon tubing. On my ball valve I have a 1/2 inch barb - makes 3/8 tubing snug fit.

What do you have connecting the 3/8" barb and the nipple that goes through the cooler? That nipple is 1/2" right?

I bought the bulkhead - 1/2 inch ball valve outside with 1/2 inch barb. Inside I have a 1/2 to 3/8 barb connected to coupler - thermal tubing - 3/8 barb on false bottom elbow.

Yep...no drilling needed. Fits nice and snug.

All my fittings are stainless.

Normal is what works for you. I like the tight fig of a 3/8 ID on a 1/2 barb.

Latest posts

Back