Coolbot and open fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you used a coolbot for temp control of a ferm chamber, in open fermentation? Reaching some roadblocks. Using my Spike 20 gallon MLT as an open FV, it's excellent, and I can easily hook a pump to rouse and experiment on a Yorkshire Square method. Refrigerators are too small. I have a good space in the basement; just concerned about the air quality coming out of the A/C.

A small ceramic heater works like a champ, to heat. Just need a sanitary means to cool.

Thanks Bargain. I'd actually read that thread but to be honest, I didn't read the entire thing (just heartened mostby "Marqui's" comments), so thanks for pointing it my way. And for your information. That's what I was afraid of. There is so much visible dust buildup in the A/C, I don't even want to break it down to really see what's in there. I had a successful open ferment with an aggressive yeast, but that was earlier this spring when it was cold. Basement is holding now at about 54F, which isn't bad for the English style conditioning I intend on doing. I have an Inkbird and small ceramic heater that can bring it up to 72, which is perfect. So that range 54-72 is doable - but you've confirmed, forget the coolbot and a/c. Thanks again.

Back