Converting %-wise grain bill to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozt

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm trying to convert an AG recipe to extract, but the recipe is given in terms of percentages. How does the math go in converting this grain bill?

OG: 1.047
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.1%

2 row 64%
Carapils 9%
Munich 20L 6%
Red Wheat Malt 3%
Honey 4% of the malt bill as a total

Also, should the malt bill not add up to 100%? I'm guessing that each grain takes into account a different yield as well? In trying to create an extract recipe that tastes similar, what can I do about the wheat in there? A combination of wheat DME and Light DME, maybe with the specialty grains? Any help is much appreciated.

Yes the %'s should add up to 100% Something must be wrong with those numbers. What size batch are you trying to make and what is the hop bill like? What style is the original beer?

The recipe was sent to me by Ska for their True Blonde Ale, which I'm trying to clone.

I'm doing a 5 gal. batch and the hop bill is as follows:

60 minute Perle
30 minute Tettnang
5 minute Cascade 1/3
******* Tettnang 2/3

A little inspecific, but given the IBUs listed I figured I could mess with the numbers till I find something appropriate. The thing is, I notice now that the recipe I received says 5.1% ABV, 13 IBUS, where the ska site says 5.3% and 39 IBUs. I'm a little torn at this point, but I'm waiting for an email response regarding the percentages.

Looking at PPGs, I figured something like 1 lb Wheat DME and 5 lbs Light DME would put me at 1.054, pretty close to target according to my math..

53.8 = ((44 PPG ×1 lb wheat dme)+(5 lb light dme×45 PPG ))÷5 gal

As far as only 3% being wheat, my 1lb wheat dme idea probably exceeds that, so who knows. Lastly, I'm curious about which yeast to use. This wasn't specifically a belgian, so I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: Just got a response from Ska, it's supposed to be 78% 2-Row

For anyone interested, here's what I've got for an extract recipe:

Ska True Blonde Ale Clone

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: 14.4

2.5 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch

5 lbs Light DME
1 lb. Wheat DME (late addition)
4oz Honey (last 20 min)

.5 oz Perle 7.8% (60 min)
.5 oz Tettnang 4.5% (30 min)
.25 oz Cascade 6.4% (5 min)
.5 oz Tettnang 4.5% (5 min)

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood or Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast
Note: 1187 is slow to start (up to 90 hours)

No telling if it's any good yet, but hopefully I'll get around to trying it out soon enough. Also, any suggestions from more experienced members is welcome.

Back