Converting reg recipe to GF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure!

I think IPAs are a bit easier because they are hop forward and the hop bill will carry over, 1:1.

The tricky part is the malt bill but its getting easier due to the advent of gf malts. examples:

http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/ (grouse malts and eckert rice malts)

and boulder fermentation supply (CMC)

They now have a lot of GF malted grains that will carry over as well, here's some that they carry from Grouse malting Co:

11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 % = Grouse Pale Millet Malt
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 % = Grouse Munich Millet Malt
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 % = ???
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 % = Grouse Crystal Malt
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 % = ???

The two that I tagged with ? will be harder as I don't see a counterpart. Maybe something from Colorado Malting will be closer. They offer light roast, vienna, etc. maybe one of those will be close to these two. Maybe someone else will come forward here.

The next step is to formulate the amount of grain you'll need to hit your OG. With millet, I think you will need to up your total grain bill to 16lbs or more for an OG of 1065 but you could keep the same percentages if you found all your equivalent malts.

I tend to use pale, light roast, vienna, and crystal in my IPA recipes. But I am quite new to the AG/GF game.

I use brewtoad or brewsmith to build up a recipe and I've been using 27 PPG but I think my efficiency is low so i've not been hitting my OGs (about 10 points off with a 14-16lb millet bill).

The next puzzle is to learn how to mash millet. That's well covered on other posts here.

Hi Steve. I have converted a barley recipe in to Gluten Free before, and it just so happened to be Zombie dust. Only done it the once, and it turned out nice. But I have nothing to compare it to, mind... I think I posted the recipe on here about a year or so ago...

sorry i should have mentioned i still extract brew. so could i use sorghum extract and then steep the other grains?

You can use sorghum extract or rice extract (my prefrence), and steep other grains.
I reciently did a partial mash IPA with 6 lbs rice extract, and a mini mash of about 5 lbs of Eckert rice malt... It turned out very well.

Rather than a haphazard 20 min steep, if you can do a more temperature controled mash for a good hour you will get a lot more out of those grains. Its not dificult to mash 5 lbs of grain in a pot on your stove top.

You can use sorghum extract or rice extract (my prefrence), and steep other grains.
I reciently did a partial mash IPA with 6 lbs rice extract, and a mini mash of about 5 lbs of Eckert rice malt... It turned out very well.

Rather than a haphazard 20 min steep, if you can do a more temperature controled mash for a good hour you will get a lot more out of those grains. Its not dificult to mash 5 lbs of grain in a pot on your stove top.

would rice extract be a closer match to the 2 row or Light DME the original recipe uses?

sorry i should have mentioned i still extract brew. so could i use sorghum extract and then steep the other grains?

Steve, if you are extract brewing then I would use this recipe is a basis:

http://ghostfishbrewing.com/ghostfishblog/gfhomebrewing-grapefruit-ipa/

This was my first GF batch and its done by one of the guys on here: Igliashon Jones who is the brewer at GF brewing. On its own, its delicious exactly as the recipe stands. I've done 4 batches and they were all good.

If you want to try to make it more like Zombie dust, I would simply replace the hop bill on GF's recipe and omit the grapefruit zest. Like Legume, I also prefer BRS so I also tended to substitute about 50% on the sorghum with Lundgren's Organic Brown Rice Syrup to reduce the twang of the sorghum due to the sheer amount used and also because you can do most of the sorghum at late boil which helps I believe.

http://www.lundberg.com/product/organic-sweet-dreams-brown-rice-syrup/

This can be purchased at many organic/natural oriented grocers.

Back