Converting from 20LB portable L.P. tank to homes L.P. tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I have a single tier two burner brew rig. I have been using it with a 20 LB LP tank and it kicks butt.

The burner are the 10" Hurricane/Banjo type.

I had the local LP people come in and run a copper tube from my house tank to my new brew shed. They added a regulator.

I am not getting the same results I did with my 20 LB tank. That system was noisy with huge flames, not all blue BTW.

This new one produces heat, all blue flame but only an inch or so from the burner. It is also much quieter.

When I adjust the regulator it does not seem to change much. Actually, when I adjust the regulator I do hear a hum from the regulator but do not see a difference in the flame size.

Am I expecting too much from size? (LOL), Or, will I gain it back in efficiency?

How long of a run is it from the regulator to the burner? Is the regulator where they split the line or is it out at your brew shed?

How long of a run is it from the regulator to the burner? Is the regulator where they split the line or is it out at your brew shed?

Thanks for the response Gunfighter04. A copper tube was buried into the ground leading directly from my homes large LP tank to a regulator mounted outside the door of my brewery. From that regulator to my brew stand is a distance of 6 to 7 feet.

I'd say you should check if the propane people installed a high pressure or low pressure regulator. The banjo burners are designed to run on high pressure propane and the new regulator that was installed might be a low pressure type that doesn't have enough range to flow the correct amount of propane for your burners.

The regulator the LP company installed is low pressure. It is against code to run high pressure propane into a residential house. Your burner will operate on high or low pressure but the orface needs to be changed in the burner to a low pressure one to operate at maximum efficiency. The BTU output will vary from low to high and it is normal to expect a lower BTU from the low pressure operation. For indoor use low pressure is quieter as you noted and much safer. A blue flame indicates complete combustion verses a yellow flame is incomplete combustion and the presence higher levels of carbon monoxide.

MaxOut Brewstat

Back