converting frigridaire fridge/freezer combo to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I'm sure someone has done something similar. This particular model of fridge doesn't have a true dedicated freezer section, it just has an insulated shelf between the two that separates them, the shelf easily unscrews and pops out which leaves enough space for both keg and large CO2 tank. There is no dedicated thermostat for the freezer, you just set the entire unit to a number (say 5) and it works for both somehow? I'm guessing the top cooling elements always run colder to keep the freezer section frozen.

So to my question. I may eventually make this into a kegerator if possible, but for now all I'm looking for is temp control so I can brew some nice lagers. I have one of those plug in temp control modules that I got for xmas and I'm curious if this will work ok? As I understand it the module just turns the power on when it needs cooling and turns it off when it reaches temp, so will it matter if the top element is putting out more cooling power than the bottom?

I have a similar fridge/kegerator and a similar temp control and it works. I like the idea of having a thermometer in a cup of water and get it set at the temp you like it. I have not removed the freezer section I use it as a shelf for glassware. I would love to find out if there was a way to "disconnect" the freezer therm because I don't run my firdge as cold as a normal one so I get a lot of condensation dripping down.

I bypassed the factory thermostat on mine, but what your talking about sounds like it would work fine. The circulation fan has been critical for getting mine down cold enough with 2 kegs.

Here is a video I made.

Back