Converting an all grain recipe into an extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one do it? How do you order extract? I've only ever done kits that included everything.

It's pretty simple. In general, one pound of base malt (two-row) in the recipe equals .6 pound of light DME or .75 pound of pale LME. The specialty grains remain the same, and are steeped.

I usually order light DME in three pound bags.

If I want LME, I order the type I want (and the amount) from Northern Brewer.

Some recipes can't be done with extract, as some specialty grains must be mashed. But it's pretty simple to convert an AG recipe into a partial-mash recipe so that just about any recipe can be done that way.

It's pretty simple. In general, one pound of base malt (two-row) in the recipe equals .6 pound of light DME or .75 pound of pale LME. The specialty grains remain the same, and are steeped.

I usually order light DME in three pound bags.

If I want LME, I order the type I want (and the amount) from Northern Brewer.

Some recipes can't be done with extract, as some specialty grains must be mashed. But it's pretty simple to convert an AG recipe into a partial-mash recipe so that just about any recipe can be done that way.

I want to brew a heady clone from BYO, but now that I went back and looked at it, I see that they already give it in both extract and all grain variations.....sorry for the stupid question

jimmarshall said:
I want to brew a heady clone from BYO, but now that I went back and looked at it, I see that they already give it in both extract and all grain variations.....sorry for the stupid question

Not a stupid question. I've been looking at the same thing and this answered my question about lme and dme conversion rates.

Back