Converting a IC to HERMS Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together my new HERMS set up and decided to recycle my IC. Anyone special I should know or do to pull this off smoothly. The reason I ask is the IC had been well used and has a few minor twists and bends which could make rebending the coil a bit challenging. If it matters I will be using 3/8" copper.

Cheers

Did the same thing, except my IC was 1/2" so it made sweating on 1/2" female NPT easy. I added about 6" of height to the inlet and outlet w/ a 90 fitting to bring them out the handle of the keggle. Pretty easy and straight forward.

I am interested to hear people ideas too, my plan for my 25 ft 3/8” copper IC to HERMs coil was a bit ghetto:

I wanted to be able to move the heat exchanger from the HLT to the BK and use it as both a HERMs and a IC, so there are no hard connections in the kettle. Everything will be connected via cam locks.

Short PEX line attached to each end of the copper coil with a stainless worm clamp (the PEX just barely slides onto the copper when warm). Then a sharkbite fitting to ½” male NPT. Then ½” female NPT to camlocks.

My biggest concern is the PEX connection with worm clamp. It worked without leak for 30+ brews as an immersion chiller but I suspect that the constant high temps during mash recirculation may cause that connection to fail at some point.

kpr's idea is interesting.. I used copper compression fittings and weldless keggle fittings to hard fix my old IC into my HLT as a HERMS. Went together really easily...

Heres a pic of what I plan to do.... Although I am really liking the idea of mounting this in a lid that would fit both the HLT and BK... might have to think about that, it wouldnt be too hard.

IMG_20120413_070954.jpg

For a buck you can get the soft to rigid sweat fittings from any HVAC place. No sense MacGyvering things together...

This is from my 1/2" IC...

54513d1332891910-built-immersion-chiller-weekend-brew-5.jpg

Yeah I guess I could do that, and I would probably suggest it to others. I had mostly all this stuff on hand so it wasnt like it cost me much.

Plus I've never sweated fittings before. Maybe its time to learn a new trick!

I mounted my old IC in a lid with compression fittings. I had to reform it a bit and didn't do a great job, which is why the coil looks crappy. I also mounted a stir motor i picked up from ebay for $15. This way I don't need two pumps to keep both the HERMS and kettle water flowing. I still need to mount the electrical box to the lid next to the motor and install the QD fittings to the elbows.

herms01.jpg

herms02.jpg

herms03.jpg

herms04.jpg

herms05.jpg

Back