Convert boiler & coolbox setup to Brutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White_Water

Reaction score
Hi

My current all grain setup consists of a 50l HLT/boiler and a 36Qt Coleman Cool Box. I have done 4 brews so far and I always decant the first runnings in a spare bucket, empty the remaining sparge water from the HLT in the mash tun (I batch sparge), pump the contents of the bucket back into the HLT and eventually the remaining sparge back to the HLT.

This has worked fine so far but it is a bit fiddly and more time consuming than I would like (plus I always somehow mess up the temp when I sparge). After some reading around I encountered the Brutus 20 setup and I really like the idea and was wondering if I could convert my current setup to something similar. My main questions are:

1. I don't really want to drill a hole on the Coleman cover in order to insert the tube. Any suggestions on how to make a DIY cover which could cover it adequately?
2. I have a sight glass on my HLT. I figured that even though its not ideal that it would be sufficient to monitor just that in order to achieve an even flow between the HLT and the mash tun (as I can't see any practical way of adding a sight glass to the cool box).

Any other suggestions/advice would be great.

Hi

My current all grain setup consists of a 50l HLT/boiler and a 36Qt Coleman Cool Box. I have done 4 brews so far and I always decant the first runnings in a spare bucket, empty the remaining sparge water from the HLT in the mash tun (I batch sparge), pump the contents of the bucket back into the HLT and eventually the remaining sparge back to the HLT.

This has worked fine so far but it is a bit fiddly and more time consuming than I would like (plus I always somehow mess up the temp when I sparge). After some reading around I encountered the Brutus 20 setup and I really like the idea and was wondering if I could convert my current setup to something similar. My main questions are:

1. I don't really want to drill a hole on the Coleman cover in order to insert the tube. Any suggestions on how to make a DIY cover which could cover it adequately?
2. I have a sight glass on my HLT. I figured that even though its not ideal that it would be sufficient to monitor just that in order to achieve an even flow between the HLT and the mash tun (as I can't see any practical way of adding a sight glass to the cool box).

Any other suggestions/advice would be great.
Get a mash tun
IMG_20180311_163342.jpg

Back