Control Panel Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sooo, I searched the threads but couldn’t find an answer to the following questions. Keep in mind I intend to be switched from propane to an EHERMS 50amp system before the end of the year. My handler/wife has green lighted my project, as long as it doesn’t make us too much poorer!

Question 1: Are the savings of building my own panel worth the effort? I can buy one from amazon for approximately $500.

Question 2: I know I need a heating element for the BK and the HLT, but do I also need one for the MLT?

Question 3: Anyone use this ebook and was it helpful?
https://skrilnetz.net/the-all-in-one-brewing-control-panel/

Question 4: I already have the kettles (all 3 are 15 gallon bayou classics). Should I make the effort to convert them to electric, or should I drop the $3300 on an SS Brewtech system shown in the following link: https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/home-brewing/products/10-gal-ss-brew-kit-all-grain

I'm from a different generation and I started brewing way before you could buy anything turnkey. The thought of spending $500 on a "control panel" or $3300 on a complete system makes me shudder.

But you do you.

Last edited:
1 - it all depends on how you value money/what you want to get out of everything; for me there is no prebuilt controller that will do exactly what I want; I buy a ton of stuff on Amazon butI would not buy a brewery controller there
2 - nope, you do not need one for you MLT
3 - haven't used the e-book, for me there seems to be enough free information already on the forums and plenty of people who are willing to answer any questions you may come across

Sooo, I searched the threads but couldn’t find an answer to the following questions. Keep in mind I intend to be switched from propane to an EHERMS 50amp system before the end of the year. My handler/wife has green lighted my project, as long as it doesn’t make us too much poorer!

Question 1: Are the savings of building my own panel worth the effort? I can buy one from amazon for approximately $500.

Question 2: I know I need a heating element for the BK and the HLT, but do I also need one for the MLT?

Question 4: I already have the kettles (all 3 are 15 gallon bayou classics). Should I make the effort to convert them to electric, or should I drop the $3300 on an SS Brewtech system shown in the following link: https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/home-brewing/products/10-gal-ss-brew-kit-all-grain

I guess it depends upon your skill set and focus. For me, I had Auber Instruments build my panel. I bought both my 20g custom kettles (two kettle system) from Spike Brewing. Bought Spike's CF10 conical as well. So, I spent a few extra dollars by having Auber build the panel vs DIY. It was well worth it to me.

I used his other e-book for the 30 amp 2 element build, and definitely helped to have all the info in one spot. Easy to follow diagrams split into different steps. seems as if that would be the one you want.the one you are looking at is for a single element. I bought a control box at auberins with the 3 PID holes cut out and drilled the rest. Much cheaper than buying completed unit. If you are running 50 amps you can run both elements at same time, good for double batches. If saving $ is important then convert your vessels.

I've downloaded both guides and they are helpful, but he already has most of it posted on that site for free. I'm doing something very simillar to the AOI controller build. It seems simple enough and easy to expand down the line.

I just completed my panel build and conversion to electric. I expected to get it done for around $500 but ended up spending $1,050. Things like twist lock plugs, $25 each and you need 8, and a lot of little items added up fast.
I also made drop in dual elements so they wouldn't interfere with the whirlpool. (Actually, I did this so I can simply drop them into bigger kettles when I'm ready but don't tell the wife.)
Things like this added to the cost but that's why building your own is nice. You get exactly what you want. My Mash Tun PID controls the HERMS pump for a step mash or maintaining temp, although my insulated MT holds temp very well.

Drop in elements 1.jpg Drop in elements 2.jpeg e-brew panel.jpg

I almost went build your own but ended up ordering a grounded brewing tech panel for less than most of the kits cost. Looks like a crap ton of people had the same idea and they got crushed in holiday orders but I've only heard good things and they have been good about responding to my nagging of "Is it done yet?" http://groundedbrewingtechnologies.com

I built the panel in the avatar pic to the left for under $300.. there are some links for parts in my build thread below though I doubt a lot of them work anymore..
the panel had 3 element power controllers/pid with manual mode as well and controlled 3 24v dc pumps with speed control knobs. also had a timer alarms and amp/volt meter with kwh meter. it allowed only my BK OR HLT element to be on at any time along with my rims element and the whole thing ran off 30amps.

If I built it today the one thing I would have done differently is organized the wiring better and used better power connectors for the elements which I upgraded later for $9 a connector using 30a 3 pin aviation style connectors (which were not ul listed btw). still have the panel in my attic for backup now that I use brucontrol which is cheaper to build and way more flexible with the software being the most expensive single item (that doesnt become obsolete like an older version of an ezboil or pid sometimes does when a new feature pops up.)

BTW the guy that wrote that book has a build thread here somewhere..

I just completed my panel build and conversion to electric. I expected to get it done for around $500 but ended up spending $1,050. Things like twist lock plugs, $25 each and you need 8, and a lot of little items added up fast.
I also made drop in dual elements so they wouldn't interfere with the whirlpool. (Actually, I did this so I can simply drop them into bigger kettles when I'm ready but don't tell the wife.)
Things like this added to the cost but that's why building your own is nice. You get exactly what you want. My Mash Tun PID controls the HERMS pump for a step mash or maintaining temp, although my insulated MT holds temp very well.

View attachment 612418 View attachment 612419 View attachment 612422
hmm... I dont have 8 twist lock plugs in my whole system and I have 3 vessels and a rims? Do you have them at both ends of every cord or something? to be fair thats not "needed" at all right? A person could even use 4500w elements with only take about 10 minutes longer to heat wort and only require 20a plugs and connectors... much cheaper.

View attachment 612418 View attachment 612419 View attachment 612422
looks good!

hmm... I dont have 8 twist lock plugs in my whole system and I have 3 vessels and a rims? Do you have them at both ends of every cord or something? to be fair thats not "needed" at all right? A person could even use 4500w elements with only take about 10 minutes longer to heat wort and only require 20a plugs and connectors... much cheaper.
I have 4 elements. 2 in the Hot Liquor Tank and 2 in the Brew Kettle. So 4 male and 4 female plugs, (8 total), at $25 each. I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning my pots without a way to disconnect the elements, if you're suggesting hard wiring directly to the control panel? And yeah, guess you could go with lower watt elements but I live with, "Buy once, Cry once". And I'll pay up to shorten my brew day, even by 10 minutes. I probably could have shopped around for cheaper plugs but I was at Lowes and just threw them in the cart. I'm not really complaining about the price. Just stating what I paid. Over all, I'm very happy with going electric.

I have 4 elements. 2 in the Hot Liquor Tank and 2 in the Brew Kettle. So 4 male and 4 female plugs, (8 total), at $25 each. I wouldn't want to deal with cleaning my pots without a way to disconnect the elements, if you're suggesting hard wiring directly to the control panel? And yeah, guess you could go with lower watt elements but I live with, "Buy once, Cry once". And I'll pay up to shorten my brew day, even by 10 minutes. I probably could have shopped around for cheaper plugs but I was at Lowes and just threw them in the cart. I'm not really complaining about the price. Just stating what I paid. Over all, I'm very happy with going electric.
Well I was just wondering why you have so many. (I wonder if that has negative TBI effects?) To be fair here that had a lot to do with your higher costs. 2 elements in a single kettle is not really typical of most homebrewing applications and will raise the costs quite a bit. (I have 4 in my 145 gallon kettle but many systems only use 3 at this size).. Still, the plugs at the kettles I totally agree are necessary but how often do you need to disconnect them from the panel end? I have them at both ends on my setups but never need to disconnect them from the panel, if it was something I packed up between each brew I could see wanting it. also

Last edited:
So on the extreme side for reference, I built this panel for around 1200 for our 3bbl setup. 10 elements designed to draw 100a max.
You can really save a lot by doing research and shopping around..

Attachments

• 20181230_085201.jpg
    20181230_085201.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 20181123_115150.jpg
    20181123_115150.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20180822_173734.jpg
    20180822_173734.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
These discussions often surprise me when we do not value our own time. Yes, you may have spent only a few hundred on hardware, but what amount of time did you spend researching, building, testing, correcting mistakes, etc. Buying a pre-built system may not seem like the least expensive option, but for many people it makes lots of sense, especially when you account for your time.

Now, if you like the learning and exercising creativity when doing it, then it fulfills a different need. But if want the shortest line to going from no controller --> controller, then I would argue it may be tough to say that building your own is cheaper. Maybe if you bought a kit with all the right parts and instructions, you could possibly save. Just keeping it honest here!

These discussions often surprise me when we do not value our own time. Yes, you may have spent only a few hundred on hardware, but what amount of time did you spend researching, building, testing, correcting mistakes, etc. Buying a pre-built system may not seem like the least expensive option, but for many people it makes lots of sense, especially when you account for your time.

Now, if you like the learning and exercising creativity when doing it, then it fulfills a different need. But if want the shortest line to going from no controller --> controller, then I would argue it may be tough to say that building your own is cheaper. Maybe if you bought a kit with all the right parts and instructions, you could possibly save. Just keeping it honest here!
I think you make a very good point but the definition of a controller seems to be pretty broad here.
a stilldragon controller is pretty simple to throw together in under an hour. if we didnt have spare time on our hands why are we brewing which is one of the most time consuming hobbies I know of. like your signature says... "sure I could just buy beer"... same could easily said about buying vs piecing together equipment.
Theres also the fact that being more comfortable with and having an understanding of how the controller goes together and works can be beneficial down the road when components like relays or ssrs wear out or fail.. I have seen many of these controller makers come and go and if a person buys something prebuilt he might have a hard time getting someone to repair it..

Just curious, which panels are you looking at on Amazon?

Well I guess I'm not explaining correctly. BK Plugs.jpg I see 4 plugs here. You may call it 2, but there's 2 male plugs and 2 female plugs at $25 each. So $100 to plug in my 2 BK elements.
HLT Plugs.jpg There's 4 more at the HLT. However you see it, it's $200 just for plugs.
Cables in.jpg I do not have plugs at both ends. Obviously not needed.

You are absolutely correct! I enjoyed the built so much I may make another for a friend. I did expect to save money and believe I built a panel that is not available for what I have in it. Also, my panel has functions I haven't seen offered on any other panel. I did make some mistakes that cost me extra but I learned from those mistakes. I'm lucky to be able to afford some mistakes.

Back