Contract job in Saudi Arabia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tminmur

Reaction score
I am possible taking a year long contract position in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia helping there ministry of health.... other than being away from family and friends I won't be able to drink beer! Thank God the money is good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

You can travel to Qatar. I was there 3 years ago and had the pleasure of paying $12 a beer at the Marriott by the airport. You'll probably need to take a lot of weekend trips out of the KSA for your sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to leave the country every 30 days to get my passport punched so I hoping to take a trip to Europe every month and grab a beer and some sightseeing. Super excited. My wife is already looking at places in Italy to meet me in.

I lived in Saudi as a kid in the 80s and everyone in our little expat community was home brewing wine. The supermarkets even stocked grape juice with Grolsh bottle tops, bags of sugar, 10 gallon buckets with sealable lids, and bakers yeast in the same aisle.

Also, every second diplomatic bag clinked like the sound of two full glass bottles hitting each other. (The others ones usually held bacon). Not sure what it's like nowadays, though.

Lived in Dubai for 6 years, the stories from Saudi were rough. Dubai was a damn fun place to spend a few years though.

Take the money and run as often as you can! It sounds like you'll get to drink beer pretty much everywhere on Europe! Don't forget to visit cool places in Africa too, that whole east coast is pretty sweet. The Red Sea is touristy as hell but special anyway. Zanzibar is definitely worth a trip. And hell, you might as well hit up Madagascar, Mauritius and the Seychelles too!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I lived in Saudi as a kid in the 80s and everyone in our little expat community was home brewing wine. The supermarkets even stocked grape juice with Grolsh bottle tops, bags of sugar, 10 gallon buckets with sealable lids, and bakers yeast in the same aisle.

Also, every second diplomatic bag clinked like the sound of two full glass bottles hitting each other. (The others ones usually held bacon). Not sure what it's like nowadays, though.

I second this grew up there from 87-97 and I was always my dads assistant in making hooch from the most bad ass grape juice. and making the non alcoholic beer some probably pretty tasty delight. Our bathroom looked like a chemistry lab.

Where at in Saudi are you going to?

I'll be in the capital and working on one of the 5 health cities they are building there. Ours will be for the northwest region of the country.

Fun thats where I mostly grew up before i moved to the coast there. Pretty modern from what I remember and I'd imagine its even further ahead now. Good luck to ya!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Well, before shipping out I would brew up a few RIS's and Sours and teach the SWMBO to check on them while you are gone. That way you have all sorts of nice things waiting for you when you get back. And all the above stuff too.

lets just hope you do not become a victim of terrorists . Very risky going to them places

Its really not that bad. Saudi is one of the most western middle east countries outside of UAE. Its not main street USA but its also not Fallujah 2004

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah. I feel the same way. I am in no way feel that I will have any trouble over there. I'll be given a driver, so I will not be doing any of that and on top of that the drive will be with the whole time translating for me. Not sure I'll need it through, I hear they speak great english. I will not be making any "hooch" either. I made it without alcohol while in Iraq so I'll do it again in Saudi.

Yeah. I feel the same way. I am in no way feel that I will have any trouble over there. I'll be given a driver, so I will not be doing any of that and on top of that the drive will be with the whole time translating for me. Not sure I'll need it through, I hear they speak great english. I will not be making any "hooch" either. I made it without alcohol while in Iraq so I'll do it again in Saudi.

You won't have any trouble at all. People sometimes find it hard to adjust culturally but it sounds like you've traveled bit in the region so shouldn't be too hard. We lived as a family out there for three years and my old man was there for seven in total without needing a translator or guide.

Latest posts

Back