contactors insted of ssrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, depending on the application. For simple control where digital voltage is not a player and the current will not be rapidly switched on and off, contactors work great. For easy digital control and/or PWM duty cycle management, SSRs have the advantage.

The benefit of SSRs over mechanical means of switching are the prolonged service life provided by SSR. No moving items and no electric arching allows SSRs to be switched rapidly and for more cycles.

Depending on the switching rate an EMR (electromechanical relay) could quickly wear out, especially in our usage for temperature control.

EMRs and contactors have great purpose but rapid, repeated switching just isn't their thing.

thanks guys im starting my ele build as a school project i went back after a masive heart attack im taking indust mant and the focus is in plcs and pid con troll

I use both in my electric brewery build. SSR for the boil kettle, which is controlled by PWM, and an old fashioned electromechanical relay for my HLT since it doesn't need to cycle so often. In fact, with a +/- 1 degree F set point, it cycles every few minutes once it hits temp.

i will be posting lots of pics once i start im just doing reserch right now probly start on it next mounth

Back