Consistent over attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read that this can happen if you let your wort sit at mash temps in the kettle for a while during the lautering process. I had some super attenuated beers when I first started. I didn't do a mash out and I would wait to fire up the kettle after all my wort was in there. Once I started heating the kettle as soon as there was wort in there, this issue went away for me.

How much slower? Without a mash out, a long lauter would in effect lengthen the mash.

Do you flame on when there's just enough wort in the kettle? Or do you wait until the entire 1st, or more significantly 2nd, runoff is complete?

Definitely waiting for 2nd runoff is complete, im working on stove top so I have to move things around to drain the mash tun. That being said I didn't even think about how prolonged lautering would affect that, but my post mash gravities are roughly consistent with beersmiths predictions

Definitely waiting for 2nd runoff is complete, im working on stove top so I have to move things around to drain the mash tun. That being said I didn't even think about how prolonged lautering would affect that, but my post mash gravities are roughly consistent with beersmiths predictions

Once you hit 100% conversion, extra mash time won't add gravity. What will change with extra time is the fermentability of the wort. The longer the time it takes for the temperature to denature the enzymes, the longer they'll keep chopping those once unfermentable long sugar molecules into shorter fermentable ones.

Try changing the mash time in your software to your total mash+lauter time. What does that do to the predicted FG?
Haven't checked it in a while but last time I calibrated it, it was correct.

Could be an added factor. Might as rule it out. If you're checking it in boiling water make sure you use the correct temperature for your elevation.

Once you hit 100% conversion, extra mash time won't add gravity. What will change with extra time is the fermentability of the wort. The longer the time it takes for the temperature to denature the enzymes, the longer they'll keep chopping those once unfermentable long sugar molecules into shorter fermentable ones.

Try changing the mash time in your software to your total mash+lauter time. What does that do to the predicted FG?

This I would never have thought have. But I tried it and fg didn't change.

This I would never have thought have. But I tried it and fg didn't change.

Well, hmm. FG prediction isn't the strongest feature of most software. Lack of mash out, a long lauter, and delayed flame on could still be the issue. Maybe. Best way to check would be to add a mash out infusion to your process. That would denature the enzymes and lock in the fermentability profile at the end of your 60m mash. Alternatively, go with Mike above and try a super high mash temp.

I have also had consistent over- attenuation issues. My beer was thin, and although I never had signs of infection, I was typically getting a very subtle “green apple” taste. In my case, I think it was a combination of a lingering subtle infection and some needed improvements to my brewing practice. Here is what I did.

- eliminate any bacteria (thoroughly clean and sanitize all glass and metal, replace all cold-side plastic)
-recirculate my mash (I was finding that the top part of my mash was up to 10 degreees cooler the the center where I was taking temperature, leading to some highly fermentable wort)
-use less aggressive yeast (I always get 85-90 percent attenuation with US-05, it’s a beast! something like wyeast 1968 helps get a fuller beer)

I started getting much better beer after this.

Back