Considering hop pairings for a balls to the wall IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
My freezer is overflowing due to my Christmas hops coming in and I'm going to have to brew up a ten gallon batch with 2 pounds to hops to free up some space. A lot of these were bought on sale for five bucks a pound so I don't have to worry to much about price for this one. What I have on hand:
-ADHA 527 (apparently tastes like a weaker version of Azacca)
-Bravo
-Chinook
-Delta
-Jarrylo
-Junga
-Northern Brewer
-Nugget
-Opal
-Sorachi Ace
-Summit

No Citra or Mosaic or Galaxy but I figure that quantity has a quality of it's own and I can put together something out of this that you can smell from across the room.

Some ideas:
-Pine and lemon sounds nice. Sorachi ace for the lemon and Chinook and NB are pretty piney.
-Fruit juice with some combination of ADHA527, Summit and Sorachi Ace.
-Liked what a mix of Opal and Junga did to my hoppy porter. Nice woodsy taste. Not strong enough for a hop bomb IPA so something to pair with them to give them some oomph. Nugget? Lots of Northern Brewer?
-Not sure WTF to do with Jarrylo. Tastes like banana?

Any good pairings out of this lot?

https://beerandbrewing.com/VuhJRCUAAHMUNfil/article/hops-aroma-uncharted-watersThis is a great article about hop pairings. It will probably leave you with more questions then answers, but seems very relevant to the question. In the article the author talks about how different oils in the hops can cause changes in hop aroma/flavor sensory perception when paired with complimentary hops.

Interesting. Going from that Nugget/Chinook/Summit might be a good mix. Some nice solid workhorse hops, nothing fancy just enough flavor to really do something.

So maybe my normal malty and pale grain bill of, say:
70% Vienna
20% Pilsner
4.5% Carared
4.5% Victory
1% Caraaroma

For 10 gallons split in two 2 oz or so for a bittering charge. 14 oz dry hop. 8 oz hot hop stand, 8 oz cooler hopstand. Everything split evenly. That should about do it.

Back